recovery hike

sayjay

Hey y'all,

I'm recovering from surgery and can't yet return to technical climbing but I'm dying to get up in the mountains... and I need to get myself back in shape! Looking for a good day hike. Don't need to reach a summit, but a good amount of altitude gain and a view or two are required.

Anyone out there have a favorite -- within a couple hours' drive from Seattle but NOT Mt. Si or Pilchuck!-- to suggest?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sayjay:

Hey y'all,

I'm recovering from surgery and can't yet return to technical climbing but I'm dying to get up in the mountains... and I need to get myself back in shape! Looking for a good day hike. Don't need to reach a summit, but a good amount of altitude gain and a view or two are required.

Anyone out there have a favorite -- within a couple hours' drive from Seattle but NOT Mt. Si or Pilchuck!-- to suggest?

Mailbox Peak- 4,000 gain over 3 miles. Mt. Tenerriffe- next to Si- is about the same and 14 miles, but all on old logging roads. You'll have it to yourself though. Both on the I-90 corridor and less than an hour from Seattle.

In spite of the crowds, I do like the hike up to Lake Serene at the base of Mt. Index- 3500 feet or so and 6-8 miles. That plus a stop at the Sultan Bakery make for a nice day trip.

Church Mt, off 542. Lots of switchbacks through the woods, nice stroll through the meadow, and then some more switchbacks up to the summit. Great views of Baker and the Nooksack! It would be a great recovery hike... [smile]

And the North Fork IPA is on your way home! [big Drink]

[ 07-26-2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: AA ]

Annette lk trail is pretty nice...good little hike with nice worn track to follow......plus some cross country 'summits' to obtain after lunch.

pratt lk- lotsa people nice hike. go from the trailhead further west then the one listed in the book.

snow lks- lotsa more people good hike with good views. go swimming in snow lk and find my missing 6pack. also can attack mt snoq from snow lk shoulder after lunch dropping down the western face or cave ridge.

dingford creek mid fork of snoq river. good hike up cool ass steep creek. sections of it have been boated. crazy fawks!

taylor river road- lotsa people hike on old log road past eagle falls baby dingford creek falls. kinda boring, better with a bike....

um ask me more later i cant think anymore....