Osprey Packs?

blue_morph

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 10 YO Highlander which is in excellent shape that I'd give you a screamin' deal on. I like the layout of the pack and have used it on several trips. Problem is, that's the "old" Osprey, as in loaded with straps and kinda heavy. But it will last forever. I assume you want something newer with lighter fabric but if not, let me know.

Yeah, I was looking at some of the newer lighter (important!) 1-2 day climbing packs. I also had my eye on ArcTeryx and the Wild Things Ice Sac.

DFA has tried on Osprey packs with an average climbing gear load in them, and they seem to fit remarkably well. The Doctor owns an Arc'Teryx, though, and it, too, is a cush carry. Both are bomberly constructed, too. Could come down to features.

Cracked,

Can you eleborate on your dislike of the Khamasin 62.

Thanks

Yes.

The frame is held in by a flap of velcro. The load lifters tend to undo the velcro, and the frame starts sliding out of it's flap.

The shoulder straps, while cushy, are too short. When properly adjusted, the unpadded part of the strap digs into my chest. Ouch.

The hipbelt, while it has the famous hip protecting squash pods, is too short to actually protect my hips. Instead, the webbing rests against my hipbones, and gets sore with big loads.

The compression straps are stupid, on one side they don't have fastex buckles, so you have to slide skis in. Very annoying, big waste of time.

For the rest, it's a nice pack, reasonably light, trim, etc, etc.

If you're wondering why I own it, I got it as a gift.

I recently started using an Eclipse 42+5. The suspension is very comfortable and, despite my dislike of zippers, the pack zips open on the backpad side, which keeps the backpad relatively clean and dry.

Re: the upside down look of the design : I noticed when descending while facing out, the bottom of the pack doesn't drag on stuff.

I like the "straitjacket" compression system-it keeps stuff tight against my back.

Also, the hydration system comes out as a separate 300ci summit pack.

Cracked,

Can you eleborate on your dislike of the Khamasin 62.

Thanks

Yes.

The frame is held in by a flap of velcro. The load lifters tend to undo the velcro, and the frame starts sliding out of it's flap.

The shoulder straps, while cushy, are too short. When properly adjusted, the unpadded part of the strap digs into my chest. Ouch.

The hipbelt, while it has the famous hip protecting squash pods, is too short to actually protect my hips. Instead, the webbing rests against my hipbones, and gets sore with big loads.

The compression straps are stupid, on one side they don't have fastex buckles, so you have to slide skis in. Very annoying, big waste of time.

For the rest, it's a nice pack, reasonably light, trim, etc, etc.

If you're wondering why I own it, I got it as a gift.

Funny, DFA has the 52 (fifty-something, anyway), and never had a problem with the load lifters/framesheet issue you describe. The rest of your problems sound like they're fit related, i.e. the pack doesn't fit you right. Maybe instead of moaning about issues like too-small shoulder straps and hip belt, you should have gotten a larger suspension? Or maybe lay off the Pringles and mayonnaise?

Well, I tend to carry more than a dozen quickdraws, a down jacket, and half an apple, too. That might have something to do with it. rolleyes.gif I had around 60 pounds in it when it started hurting.

It's size large. Losing weight will not do much about shortening my spine so the shoulder straps are long enough. rolleyes.gif

WildThings Icesac with an after market framesheet is what I'll use when I have the cash.

I had a Khamsin for years, loved it, and never had any of those problems with it. Really a super pack, went out for days at a time with it, climbed, hiked, you name it. Regret having sold it.

I have to agree with the Doctor, it sounds like the pack is too small for you. Let me know when you are ready to sell it, I might take it off your hands.

I compared the Khamsin and Nozone in the shop a few years back and chose the Nozone for the frame reason that Cracked pointed out - good alpine/crag pack and pretty bomber. The Khamsin frame also jabbed me in the back of the head when I did the 'look up' test.

As far as Ospreys- I have an older Xenith (friggin huge) that I bought from Swallow's nest. I haven't had reason to carry it for a few years, but the thing is built well, and has a good suspention - especially if one is to fill its 7,000 inch space. One cool thing about Osprey - they don't advertise much, and most of their sales are through shops and word of mouth.