training without climbing?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbing at UW rock is free. So is Marymoor.

You can also stay in shape by carrying my pack around. I can make a weekly schedule so that you know where to meet me in order to carry my pack. And since you are a fellow cc.com poster, I won't charge you a single cent for this training opportunity.

perfect.

go buy a hangboard and get religious on training. Most boards come with routines, back up something for yourself and make sure it really works all your climbing muscles. hold everything with an open hand, never crimp. If you don't want to drop the 50 for a board just go buy some 2x4s and sand the edges down to different sizes.

for sport (especially smith) you really want to work your fingers the same if not more than your muscles for all those crimps and pockets.

those are just a couple ideas. I'm sure there are tons of ways.

3256luke01-med.jpg

only 4 more months still smith season

i highly recommend the putty over the mechanical grip devices and as an added bonus you won't have to go out and buy some when you blow out a tendon , since you will already be using it. you can get it from any physical therapist. just stop in buy some for about $5

• 3 weeks later...

i have one of those black diamond blue rings...

used to squeeze that thing all during my classes in high school and while driving....(ahh, that explains all the tickets...)

anyrate, they definitely are a good idea but, bouldering is the best way to get strong...

buildering is the second

and lifting free weights is the third.

grip strengtheners imho is the worst.