the choss thread

Dru

Some new shtuff at smith. The first 3 bolts led us up thru ratshit-covered ledges. The next move to a torso-sized flake wasn't so bad but when I left the flake the flake left the cliff. Then traverse up and right on the disintegrating crack. It took all my nerve to unclip the last bolt and trust the anchor (which was in a piece of rock that appeared identical to the aforementioned flake). First pitches of Freedom Rider were a bit crumbly. At least I got a few good pieces in p2! Oregon's volcanoes got nuthin on the Olympics.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dudes...anything involving the white,leached, cone shaped navajo sandstone cap in Zion National Park:

Wheat Chex, East entrance ZNP 1985, I accidentally kicked loose a 20 pound block on my partner...by the time it reached him 50 feet below it was a rain of sand.

The sandstone at Peshastin Pinnacles has to be the worst "rock" I've ever climbed on.

In general I think it's pretty good, although that belay on Bomb Shelter has got to be one of most shiznitty places on the planet. Some of the slings around that solution pocket are glued in place with "pigeon do". I highly recommend a N-95 mask up there.

The worst rock I ever climbed was on an alpine route (FA by one of the more prolific posters here.)

I was seriously in fear of my life... When asked why he didn't mention it in the route description, said ascentionist simply said... "Oh! That was covered by snow when we did it I think." blush.gif

Hadley Peak = Big choss heap!

Larabee Peak = like CBS said.

Chuckanut, south dihedral = sucks to be on lead. TR the thing and don't pull the blocks out.

North Ridge Nasakwatch Spire= The whole peak is a precarious jumble of stacked blocks. It's like Jenga, if you pull the right one out at the bottom, the whole thing might tumble down!

Did you really do E. Wilmans? I was up there on Sat. We saw a older blonde guy and his pretty girlfriend and two fellows who were scrambling the North and South Peaks.

I was up there on Sunday, thanks for the steps, it made the snow gully much easier in sneaks. BTW you climbed that thing again, I thought you did it last year, just can't get enough choss, eh?