Fragrance Lake-Bolted Crack

Bill_Simpkins

So, I went for a hike to Fragrance Lake today.

I was walking by the crack going through the double roofs, when I noticed that someone placed bolts right next to the perfectly protectable hand crack on the second roof. frown.gif

This is ridiculous! I'm going to yank them. This route protects fine without the bolts. Seriously, you can put in a solid cam like 3 inches away. Furthermore, if you don't trust the crack, just TR the thing. There are plenty of trees at the top.

If you placed these bolts, PM me to get the hangers back.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a chop-battle brewing.

I don't think there is a whole lot of opposition to chopping bolts placed next to perfectly good cracks. Except maybe from the dumbass who put them there.

However by that argumnet somebody should chop all those bolts on Canary. wave.gif

I noticed at Exit 32 there is a short 5.7 crack that terminates at a bolt anchor half way up the crag. The crack protects beautifully with gear. Last time I was there I found two fat, new bolts, and damn it if I didn't clip them. Shame on me.

Bolts on Canary? confused.gif You mean the anchor bolts? Or the two fixed pins on the 1st pitch?

They are talking about the second pitch. It is sort of ridiculous, especially since the whoever placed the 3/8 replacements never bother remove the old 1/4 inchers and as someone mentioned there is gear placements up there.

As for bolt protected cracks, I am not a fan of them, but if it is in a sporto area, I don't tend to mind. When it starts bothering me is when bolt protected crack climbs start showing up at trad areas.