Where Do Boulders Come From?

Dru

This is almost like Sex Ed for Distel and the other pebble wrastlin' young uns on the board.

Have you ever wondered where your favourite boulders come from?

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was once part of a cliff or larger rock. Yes, strange but true!

I have been lucky enough to observe the process of boulder birth. I will post some pictures when I get home this afternoon.

It raises the question - do you have to wait until the boulder falls off the cliff to do the FA of a boulder problem, or can you cheat and climb it while it is still attached to the wall confused.giflaugh.gifhahaha.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At half-past two o'clock of a moonlit morning in March, I was awakened by a tremendous earthquake.... I feared that the sheer-fronted Sentinel Rock, towering above my cabin, would be shaken down.... The Eagle Rock on the south wall, about half a mile up the Valley, gave way and I saw it falling in thousands of the great boulders I had so long been studying.... After the ground began to calm I ran across the meadow to the river to see in what direction it was flowing and was glad to find that down the valley was still down. "

-John Muir, March 22, 1872

This story is included in "The Wild Muir" which is a nice collection of some of Muir's adventure naratives.

It raises the question - do you have to wait until the boulder falls off the cliff to do the FA of a boulder problem, or can you cheat and climb it while it is still attached to the wall confused.giflaugh.gifhahaha.gif

That would make the route luck of the draw. If your boulder fell off and stopped inverted, do you need to climb the route head down, from top to bottom to "follow"? tongue.gif

357proudmama.JPG

here is mama cliff after having given birth

357newbaby.JPG

here is her new baby boulder with fine upstream arete and downstream cave. if trying upstream arete might have to use lead weights to hold the bouldering mat down?