Most lives?

hopalong

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18,000 + were killed in the town of Yungay when Huascarun droped a few tons of granite and ice in a lake after an earthquake and caused an alluvion to flow down and bury the town. The estimated size of the debris was seventy-five million cubic meters.

Hasn't K2 claimed a lot of lives to summits too?
I like the new avatar name. It threw me for a loop last night while deleting some private messages ("who is chelle?).

There was an Everest site that provided data for # of deaths on the 8,000m peaks:

Data for Everest

Data for all 8000m peaks

Some specifics:

Annapurna has the highest death per successful ascent ratio: 41% (130 successful, 53 deaths). The page doesn't give data on the number of people who don't succeed AND don't die. If this number is, say, 10 times the number that summit, then the percentage of deaths per attempt would be something like 4%, meaning 4 out of every 100 climbers you might see at a basecamp will die.

Nanga Parbat is 2nd at 216 summiters, 61 deaths (28% deaths/summits)

K2 is 3rd at 198 summiters, 53 deaths (27%).

The 8000m peak with the most deaths is Everest at 179. This is not surprising given the draw of the peak. The deaths/summits rate is only 9% though.

From what I've been able to glean from what I've read on the subject, I think it has something to do with the honor of success, shame in retreat, and mebbe even Bushido or something like that.

Of all the things I've read about people failing to summit on big mountains, the thing that struck me as quite odd was the "fact" that a lot of "Far Easterners" (Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese, Chinese, etc.) do not stop to help their failing climbing companions, but rather just leave them where they drop and carry on themselves towards the summit.

What struck me as the absolute oddest thing was that on the way back down, the "successful summiteers" didn't usually stop to pick up and help the people they left behind on the way up.

Every man/woman for him/herself, I guess. confused.gif