• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
selkirk

Flash vs Onsight

Probably a stupid newbie question but what's the difference between a Flash and an Onsight?

Cheers bigdrink.gif

A flash is when someone gives you beta for the climb, or you watch someone else climb it, then lead it clean on your first try.

An onsite is also leading it clean on your first try, but without beta, or watching another climber.

Onsight: No falls ascent on first try with no prior knowledge of route.

Flash: No fall ascent on first try but with knowledge of route (e.g. watch someone or get tips from someone).

Redpoint: No fall ascent (could be many tries and extensive knowledge)

Try 'em all! fruit.gif

i thought a flash was a clean first climb regardless of whether you were leading it or following it. confused.gif is there a different word for that?

i thought a flash was a clean first climb regardless of whether you were leading it or following it. confused.gif is there a different word for that?

Flash in the pan? grin.gif

Actually, for TR I think it's just, "Nice job." Ya gotta lead to call it a flash. Though I'll call a clean first-time TR at the gym a flash to keep my ego puffed up. Phew, enough qualifiers there? cantfocus.gif

http://climb.mountainzone.com/glossary_a_l.html

It's pretty simple; if you TRed something with no falls on your first go, it's a TR flash, which, as MtnGrrl stated, roughly translates into normal language as "good job".

TR Flash! LOL that's a good one.

our crew reserves the word "flash" for when you lead a route, clean, clear and fast.. i.e.. a really good redpoint per se

I thought a "Flash" was the first naked ascent (right Dru?!) and that would make a pinkpoint the....

Is there a Dr. Onsight Amazing in the house? Flash Vs. Onsight step right Up!!! boxing_smiley.gif

TR Flash! LOL that's a good one.

Really? So what do you call a no-falls, first-go ascent on TR? Does the term "TR Flash" somehow give more credit to the ascent than saying "climbed it with no falls, first try, on TR"? Seems kind of logical to employ a term that climbers always use for "climbed it with no falls, first try" to convey just that, and to combine it with some other easily-conveyed specifics about the ascent, i.e. "TR". Why should "climbed it with no falls, first try" mean something different if a TR is involved? It's not as if someone who hears "TR Flash" is going to mistake your ascent for regular old flash on the sharp end.

boxing_smiley.gif

Is there a Dr. Onsight Amazing in the house? Flash Vs. Onsight step right Up!!! boxing_smiley.gif

Perhaps you've misunderstood; DFA's middle name does not refer to the climbing term, but from a minor slice of dialog in the book 'The River Why', you wily Canadian punster.

Quit your Why'nin there DFA you've been outed fair and square. Why DOA even has a punker moniker than you do.

Doctor Flash L'ordinaire? That's not very amazing.

if someone TR a climb clean then that's it.. "good job" what do ya want a "flash" badge to sew to your lettermans jacket?

it's just my crew.. you can say what ya want.. call it a FA Flash on TR for all I care..

if someone TR a climb clean then that's it.. "good job" what do ya want a "flash" badge to sew to your lettermans jacket?

Or do you want a "hardcore because we're too stubborn to call a spade a spade in an effort to distance ourselves from possibly being called less than hardcore by the semantics police" badge for yours? rolleyes.gif

This is quite possbily the worst thread that I've ever read. thumbs_down.gif

STFU and just climb.

The old get-on-the-internet-and-spray-about-how-lame-people-are-for-not-climbing-when-you-could-be-out-climbing gambit, eh?

Brilliant! yellaf.gif

If there are no witnesses and a climber onsights a route and doesn't spray about it, did it really happen? Or is it all in his mind?

Geek_em8.gif

who's belaying if there are no witneses? or is this the onsight free solo?

No, it's the "If a tree falls in the woods...."

Let's pretend the belayer fell asleep or was hit it the head with a freshly born boulder, or had his head eaten by a female but his body kept belaying her... rolleyes.gif

[quote

Or do you want a "hardcore because we're too stubborn to call a spade a spade in an effort to distance ourselves from possibly being called less than hardcore by the semantics police" badge for yours? rolleyes.gif

a semantics lesson by someone worried about being called a DR. LOL what a freaking joke! wink.gif

a spade is a spade.. yet a flash is not a TR Flash now is it?

the original poster wanted opinion on what the difference is between onsite and flash...

in our crew that is what we reserve the words for..

if you use the word to describe your TR adventures in your crew, then so be it.. i really dont care.. only I'll probably fall on the ground laughing my ass off if I heard ya. bigdrink.gif

it's all good fun.