meanwhile, in a gun-toting utopia...

ashw_justin

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can now use a gun to "defend my freedom", cause god knows when the justice system isn't working, clearly a gun is the way to go.

"The shotgun was invented around 1600 or so, and it has been killing both man and beast in amazing numbers since then" HAHAH...killing men since 1600, god bless the shotgun! rolleyes.gif

I am beginning to believe that the derisive attitude of those of the anti-gun slant comes from fear. Not fear of attack or injury, but fear of discovering that the world is not the soft, cuddly, friendly place they have created in their mind. The fear that there ARE people who will beat you unconscious for the $10 in your pocket. The fear that when confronted, they will be forced to make a choice to defend themselves and they will be rendered impotent. The fear that there IS harshness in the world, and that they lack the fortitude to respond. The fear that the bubble will burst.

I am also starting to see that the source of this dismissive attitude comes from lack of knowledge coupled with arrogance. Because they have no knowledge of safe gun practices, they have no faith in others to carry and utilize said knowledge. Those with lack of exposure to guns seem to think that we're all just a hair trigger away from indiscriminately blazing away (note skeezix's comment above regarding having his float tube shot full of holes). Sure, much of this is couched as humor, but I would posit that there is an underlying fear there. Humor is a common tool for masking fear and/or uncertainty.

Your correct on the fear part Greg, you just misplace the source. I'm not afraid of the world being a violent nasty place - it is. I've just found myself to be more afraid of many owners of concealed weapons - like the woman I worked with who couldn't drive a stick (too difficult) but felt her pistol would protect her, even though she practiced barely once a month. I've met others like her. Add to this greater gun ownership increasing the potential deadliness of any conflict, and I've come out against them.

They'll never take away shotguns. Ever.

With this attitude, they'll be gone before you know it. The current attempt by Democrats in Congress to reinstate the "Clinton Assault Weapons Ban" has been expanded to include semi-automatic shotguns.