"redpoint"

It has come to my attention that some deluded climbers are referring to successfully climbing a boulder or top-rope problem with no falls as a redpoint. SILLY SILLY CLIMBERS

You must be leading to Redpoint. Bouldering, the style you refer to as 'redpointing' is merely successfully Climbing The Problem. Toproping, it is just Successfully TopRoping. Once you can TR it with no falls THEN you are ready to try Redpointing it.

So remember, the Vocabulary Police are watching you at the crags!

[ 07-08-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: BigWallBigBallsRocky ]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...would a *solo* be considered a successful lead? If so, then soloing would also be called a redpoint wouldn't it? Bouldering w/o a rope is soloing, particularly if its a highball, right? Then it follows that you've redpointed your little pebble-climb, right?

Agreed that toproping is simply toproping and nothing else...but if you'd seen some of the highballs going up every now and then, I think you'd consider them climbs in their own right...

Most bouldering is for scared bitches [Embarrassed] It's like half stepping. There are ones with crippling landings but not many people do them. It's the style and difficulty\danger of the problem that would only allow someone to compare bouldering to real roped climbing.

You sound bitter...what happened? Did some punk kid hike your V0/B0/5.8 little project and piss you off? Could it be that most people boulder to get stronger for climbing, or is that not a realistic concept?

Why do you have to make a judgement about it? So what if bouldering is on a shorter route...what about doing all facets of climbing?

what was the comment about scared bitches about then, Mr. Otherguy?? Glad you're not a scared bitch though...

I like to boulder w/ my buds, i also like to crack climb and I also like to sportclimb...hmmm, kinda hate the gym, but often have no choice due to weather/wife/kidz...I think some of the times that I've been the most freaked out was at Hueco bouldering w/ head splitters or leg breakers behind me...maybe we can hook up sometime for climbing? I'll give you a belay if we are on ropes, you can give me a spot if we are bouldering, deal??

Scared bitches comments- More fun meant than anything after reading your post first. If you choose to take it personal then too bad. No spots bro. I don't need one. There is the new wave trend of bouldering in your prana pants and never roping up then claiming to be an extreme climber [Roll Eyes]

Did you try reading this sentence twice yet? -It's the style and difficulty\danger of the problem that would only allow someone to compare bouldering to real roped climbing.

How can one compare bouldering when you don't have to rope manage, carry gear, monitor weather, less exposure most of the time, and see your holds right in front of you?

Accepting back breaking boulders below you is a known and obvious risk. How about loose rock you cannot see, rain, jingus pro, I dont think I need to elaborate you know the deal..

Look...i ain't trying to pick a fight w/ you...I agree w/ your comments on style/danger/blah blah blah...so what? Its all climbing anyway and as far as that goes, bouldering is just that, climbing period...no belayer, no gear...nothing except your shoes...

You go boulder w/o a spot cuz you're so tough...why the chest beating? I can walk up to a 5.12 crack and lace the freaking thing up and be in absolutely no danger whatsoever...might fall off a few times, then again I might not...but I'm in no danger at all...conversely, I could pop off of something like Midnight Lightning and crack my skull if I screwed up the landing...

Your comment about style is pointless as its all a personal choice anyway...but I'm glad to hear your a ballzout bada$$ climber, that's your choice...

Yeah...but where would something like Godzilla fall? Personally, I could look at that as a really really highball easy boulder problem (your tight rope walking 100 feet off the deck) or I could look at it as a piss-easy 5.9 roped climb (your tight rope walking 10 feet of the deck) w/ a good belayer...

Good point w/ the tight rope walking, though...I'm mainly playing devil's advocate w/ this whole bulletin board...don't really give a crap how/what/when anybody climbs as long as I got some friends to go cragging w/...

It is mostly half stepping RuMR. Unless you make is spicy it is not the same.

I never said I went bouldering without a spot. You said that. I said I don't need a spot. That could mean either 1- I dont boulder 2- I already have someone filling that void. [big Grin]

Sure you can walk up to many cracks and aid climb them safely. I can walk up to many boulders and fall off safely too.

Again I never said I was a bada$$ ballzout climber. You said that. [Cool]

Touche' I always sucked at devil's advocacy...

i guess i did stick all those words in your mouth and my foot in mine...oh well...

but, i didn't say anything about aidcimbing a 5.12 crack...you did...and spice could be danger or could be physical difficulty or could be combination, right?

Spot is still offered if you fall into category 2 and your buds are stuck in cubicle land...

quote:

Originally posted by RuMR:

Hey Dru...

That rules...and, to toss in some spice, that would be 1 foot above a crocodile-infested lake, right?

That whole sit-start thing was started by the canadians anyway
[big Grin]

It was started by Brits cause they dont have enuf rock.

Nope...not Lambone...just another tool

Regarding topic, this is a stupid thread anyway...work sucks so I thought I'd stick words into Otherguy's mouth and a stick into a hornets' nest for entertainment...

Brits/Canadians...what's the difference?? [big Grin] (Now there's a jab)...