Two mile long rope in rescue on Denali?

Stefan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yellaf.gif I think that is just poor journalism. Most rescue lowers do not exceed 600ft. They are run through stations progressively down the mountain. Ropes longer than that become difficult to get in place. 2 miles! Maybe I'm wrong but that seems pretty ridiculous.

"We were just lucky that this person had fallen above Denali Pass," said mountaineering ranger Gordy Kito, who led the rescue. "Another 15 or 20 minutes, he would have had a 1,500-foot ride, rather than 400-foot ride."

Il was semiconscious and could not move after his fall, Kito said. His fellow climbers wrapped him in layers of down clothing and descended to camp at 17,200 feet to find help.

But deteriorating weather kept them from returning with emergency provisions and prevented a high-altitude rescue helicopter from reaching him.

Friday afternoon a five-person rescue team reached Il, devised a rope system and fastened him onto a "sked," a combination litter and toboggan, Kito said.

Using two ropes, they lowered Il to the high camp five hours later. The dangers of altitude and frostbite made it clear Il would have to be moved to a lower elevation soon, Kito said. Rangers decided to lower him to their camp at 14,200 feet using a rope almost two miles long.

That rope is 1700'. Two miles is a journalistic gaff. The rescue gulley stretches from 17000 to 14000. At most, the rope would be 3000' and that would only make it harder to manage overall.

If the vertical drop of the gully was 3,000 ft, then the only way the terrain distance could have been almost two miles (10,000 feet) is if the angle of the slope was 18 degrees. That's not improbable. It would be a shallow angled gully for climbing purposes but still pretty steep for rescue lowering.

It is certainly a gaffe, though. Where would enough rope come from to make a two-mile long combination? You'd need something like 30 100m ropes tied together to make a two-mile long combination. 30 is a lot of ropes to be lugging up the mountain just for a rescue of one man.

Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif I don't believe on a two mile long rope that the entire rope would stretch if loaded. More like the end nearest the climber would stretch and the amount of stretch would decrease with some function of distance from the climber. The belayer might not even notice the climber had fallen....

The Russian para team set fixed lines up Rescue gully two years ago and over Denali Pass! Anyway I used the rope to aid in solo descents on a summit try and on summit day. the ropes were +50M ropes fixed together, just laying in the snow. They could have just used a two rope system running down the mountain to 14K, more then likely they descended R-gully since its a straight shot to camp and set up a line like the Russians did.

I raised an eyebrow at this quote too. Sounds like they overheard a joke and thought it fact? Here is a picture from the entrance to the gully on the Russians line. (they were so cool to camp next to, free live music)

5a1a55b0a7656_353430-4-14sRoydescendingrescuegullyfixedrope.thumb.jpg.18caf039004dcc2518e0be0e49de2b28.jpg

Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif I don't believe on a two mile long rope that the entire rope would stretch if loaded. More like the end nearest the climber would stretch and the amount of stretch would decrease with some function of distance from the climber. The belayer might not even notice the climber had fallen....

I think also that the self weight of the rope would cause quite a bit of stretch prior to any load being applied. Most of that stretch would occur on the top half of the rope. This of course assumes that the friction of the rope on the slope is not greater than its own weight. I agree that the belayer would never know that there was a fall.

I think also that the self weight of the rope would cause quite a bit of stretch prior to any load being applied. Most of that stretch would occur on the top half of the rope. This of course assumes that the friction of the rope on the slope is not greater than its own weight. I agree that the belayer would never know that there was a fall.

Rope weight, colossal friction, fallen or not fallen climber...all those would pale in comparison to the wind loading of a nice stiff breeze. yellaf.gif

Rope weight, colossal friction, fallen or not fallen climber...all those would pale in comparison to the wind loading of a nice stiff breeze. yellaf.gif

THe winds are usually mild on Denali. That's why they can have a two mile rope laying around. smirk.gif