Givlers Crack in one pitch

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing, dude: maybe you aren't the one to make your SO comfortable on multi-pitch. I don't know your dynamics, but she might have a more comfortable time with someone else on her first multi-pitch. I have known several chics where this was the case. Just a thought.

assmonkey is right on. if your SO digs climbing, let her progress at her own pace, not your pace for her.

if her issue really is exposure, it will take a long time for her to get over it. I suggest you top-rope climbs at Castle and Index, such as S Face Jello Tower or Godzilla, to work on her comfort level with real exposure.

Greg_W also raises an important point, spouses and SOs rarely make the best teachers for climbing: if you have a good male or female climbing friend you can trust to teach your SO, instead of you teaching, it might be really good to do that and mix it up. If your SO really likes the climbing, it wont matter to her that much who she is climbing with. If, however, her issue is that she is climbing primarily for you, to be with you, then she will not be interested in climbing with anyone else, and eventually her interest and progression might plateau or cease.

The flake is about 2 foot wide. I personally thought R&D was the perfect beginner route, and very unexposed. Maybe she is not ready for Givler's? Midway on Castle might be better. The first pitch belay on the top of Jello Tower is big and pretty flat. You can reach the top with a 60 meter rope from there.

Muffy's .02$ if she freaked on R&D she is in now way ready for givlers. I did those both the same day. Givlers was impressive and a bit scarey for me, and I didn't even blink at pitch 2 0r 3 on R&D

The slab to the right of R&D is cocaine connection. Its 5.7 and has a nice 2 bolt anchor in a scoop about 80-100 feet up. The start can be intimidating (its a bit bouldery) and I ignore the second bolt because its not really in the line I climb. But anyway from that anchor you can trend up and right to the cave route. Its 5.4 and mostly easier but you can lead out to a nice ledge and set up belays every 50 feet or so if you wanted. My wife and I spent most of a day on this when she was new to climbing. Good luck

Another thing, dude: maybe you aren't the one to make your SO comfortable on multi-pitch. I don't know your dynamics, but she might have a more comfortable time with someone else on her first multi-pitch. I have known several chics where this was the case. Just a thought.

Translation: DUDE! Let ME take your girlfriend climbing. I'll make sure she's VERY relaxed and comfortable.

smileysex5.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Translation: DUDE! Let ME take your girlfriend climbing. I'll make sure she's VERY relaxed and comfortable.

smileysex5.gif

Not really, bro, but I have taken chics climbing who said they felt more comfortable learning from me than their SO.

smileysex5.gif

Not really, bro, but I have taken chics climbing who said they felt more comfortable learning from me than their SO.

I can totally understand why that might be the case. Learning from someone besides your SO takes away some of the pressure. It's easier to ask for help or admit you don't know what you're doing.

BTW, Givler's Crack is a super fun climb!

I had a pair of size 6 Fire's that worked for a string of girlfriends. The last one took them when she left. I don't know but it could have been Greg that took off with her. She was a sucker for the hurt puppy act. But the moral of the story is, if she doesn't own her own shoes, shoes is all you'll have in the long run. Climbing hurts now and then. It has to be their own passion wether you are there or not.

I had a pair of size 6 Fire's that worked for a string of girlfriends. The last one took them when she left. I don't know but it could have been Greg that took off with her. She was a sucker for the hurt puppy act. But the moral of the story is, if she doesn't own her own shoes, shoes is all you'll have in the long run. Climbing hurts now and then. It has to be their own passion wether you are there or not.

TRUE DAT

and givlers is totaly fun. THe veiw form the start of the second pitch is AMAZING thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Fairly early on in my wifes climbing career she would insist on hikes every other day. She did not like being exposed either. So I took her on a hike one day to the Dance Platform. It gave her a new perspective on exposure! I took two ropes so I could set a fixed line across the narrow part and belay her. It was the highlight of her trip!

349453-bellygoodledge.thumb.JPG.b3e4744f5c9584d639096a323d09bd3f.JPG

TRUE DAT

and givlers is totaly fun. THe veiw form the start of the second pitch is AMAZING thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

That was my ass, sugar. It might not be there when they climb it. the_finger.gif