Knee pain

chris

Last summer, I broke my left lower leg, and had to have surgery, an eight-inch plate, and 5 pins. I seem to be OK, though, since I'm climbing and skiing back at my old levels.

My concern is running - before my accident, I was able to run 50-75km trails. Now I can't.

Usually, around 6km I develope a sharp pain on the outside lower aspect of my right knee. The pain actually gets worse as I try to walk it away. It persists into the next day, especially walking down stairs. Usually by the second recovery day its an ignorable ache.

What could be wrong, and what can I do?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

stop running for the time being. i got the same thing from mal-adjusted cleat during a century ride. lots of stretches (do an internet search) and find one of those foam tubes then you can lay on your side with it between the floor and you and cringe in agony as you roll around and massage your IT band. I also found that a rolling pin works pretty well. vitamin-I isn't a bad idea either. good luck!

Ok, speaking of knee pain.

I've been having this pain in a similar place, sharp and below the knee cap. It only occurs though when I'm going up hill, and especially when I'm skinning on skis. It starts after about 5 miles/couple hours. The pain really comes when I lift the foot up, so the knee is kind of free to flop around a bit. The pain goes away by the next day, but will retrun if I keep going uphill. Oddly enough, it doesn't hurt it pounding back down hill. it does a little, but not at all in the same way.... I plan to see a PT, but has anyone had this problem too?

Ok, speaking of knee pain.

I've been having this pain in a similar place, sharp and below the knee cap. It only occurs though when I'm going up hill, and especially when I'm skinning on skis. It starts after about 5 miles/couple hours. The pain really comes when I lift the foot up, so the knee is kind of free to flop around a bit. The pain goes away by the next day, but will retrun if I keep going uphill. Oddly enough, it doesn't hurt it pounding back down hill. it does a little, but not at all in the same way.... I plan to see a PT, but has anyone had this problem too?

Yep had that too. Do some leg extensions and you will be fine.

One word of warning. Though it sound like IT band troubles,

it might be a muniscus(sp?) tear. I went through this last summer and all the signs I saw pointed at the IT band, but the doc diagnosed it as a lateral muniscus tear. If it is IT band learn the lay on a rolling pin stretch trick.

might be it band, might not. that you have the symptoms in the area doesn't mean you have the cause there. someone should check for your hip mechanics. also collapse arch might cause such thing. ice massage the area, but i bet you'll need some work with your gluts (btw, glut max is where it originates), iliopsoas and deep hip rotators. also you strength relationship between quads and hamstrings as well you adductors might be off. ibo is going to just mask the symptoms and will do nothing for the recovery. if you don't correct the cause of the problem you'll slide back to the injury.