Where to get bolts and hangers?

I thought of rifling through Dwayner's trash, but I thought it might be more practical (and cleaner) to buy my own.

Where can I find the best deal on Rawl (aka Powers) bolts (3/8" and/or 1/2") and bolt hangers? I might also be interested in "wedge" bolts. Seattle local or online is fine.

pm me or reply

An interesting link:

http://www.safeclimbing.org/education/mechbolts.htm

Edited by Alpinfox

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that names of any companies in Seattle, but I would check with a construction supply store that specializes in anchors. In Portland there are companies like Portland Fastener and Hilti and all they do is anchors of all shapes and sizes. They are going to have a much deeper selection and most of the guys who work at these places are going to be able to give you pretty knowledgable advice on how to use them properly.

my .02

Just don't tell them what you're going to use them for. I tried Tacoma Screw looking for Rawl 5-piece bolts and rivets, got alot of flack from the sales guy who didn't think I would be using his product in an appropriate manner. They allegedly didn't have what I wanted anyway.

The local (Seattle) shops tend to have a fairly limited selection, the last ones I got were from Mountain Gear. Good service & selection, no bs.

Those look like good hangers, Fern, and their relatively light weight is a plus. They are shiny stainless steel, though, and I'd rather see folks spring for powder-coated hangers 'cause paint doesn't adhere to stainless steel very well (better if you rough it up).

A significant part of bolting controversies involves the visual impact and, for crag climbing, at least, I think we should do everything we can to reduce it. This includes not only limiting where you drill, but doing things like using powder coated hangers and setting top anchors or rappel stations that won't gather wads of sling.

REI carries the 3/8 inch Stainless Wedge type bolts in three lengths, both single and double, and hangars by both Metolius and Fixe.

The camouflaged bolts on Dark Rhythm are so well blended to the rock, you can have a hard time spotting them even when you are on route

Edited by catbirdseat

• 2 weeks later...

Western Fastners in Fremont sells both 5-piece Rawls (3/8"and1/2" in various lengths) and a slection of wedge anchors. Unlike Tacoma Screw, they have them (5-piece) in stock. They are cheaper than any climbing shop.

Tip: Try to converse with the employees as little as possible, they are arrogant pricks, who know little to nothing about the needs of rock climbers.

*mattp has a good point about powder coated hangers. Get the Metolius hangers, the smaller size is less visible than the gigantic Fixe thingies. Ditto on the chain anchors versus webbing; it looks like shit. bigdrink.gif

REI carries the 3/8 inch Stainless Wedge type bolts in three lengths, both single and double, and hangars by both Metolius and Fixe.

Time for a little edutainment, folks.

Hangar (large building, you can put your airplanes, dirigibles, and the like in it):

hangar.jpg

Hanger (climbing variety, small metal thingus, you can clip your safety snap-links to it):

Metoliushanger.jpg

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please take note, as there will be a midterm coming up soon.

wave.gif