11,000' freezin' level w/inversion

layton

so am i being a fool thinking that doing a steep snow/ice glacier route w/inversion and 11k freezing levels (10k at night) is a really stupid idea?

i can't imagine conditions being anything but suck, but i'd hate to be wrong and miss out. my experience tells me no, but let's hear if it you've had good luck w/similiar conditions. i was thinkin hood n.f.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, watched everything coming down in the Mt. Baker Ski Area backcountry. People were heading up through the gates in droves and getting some sweet tracks in very nice snow. 15" of snow from the last 48 hours and springtime temps and sun. By 11am small surface sluffs were coming down. By Noon three large 18" slabs had let loose across the ridge to the left and across from chair 8. We watched one of them sweep some guy down about 200 yards and then he dug himself out. The last one got the whole ski area to stop and watch. It broke at the first high point on the ridge closest to the chair right above the prominent cliff. It took the guy who set it off right with him over the cliff. I'm guessing the cliff is 100'+. shocked.gif He lucked out and was fine from I can tell.

Not a good weekend to be hitting the backcountry where there was any fresh snow...

FWIW, I did a backcountry tour north of the baker ski area (in the tomyhoi area) both sat and sun and conditions were beyond perfect. The only real slide hazard was slow wet snow slides on very steep stuff below rocks and that was all very avoidable.

So the skiing was great and the climbing would have sucked. You and I can breath a big sigh of relief Layton... No alpine mayhem was missed. Hope everyone has a good time cragging or carving... or even bouldering (Distel).