I was recently warned at the gym

RuMR

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...by somebody that using a munter hitch to belay w/ is not safe yelrotflmao.gif

After some reesearch, it turns out that it has stronger "lockoff" capability than any modern belay device excepting the gri gri!

It wouldn't have made any difference had you told them this information. Doubtless they had never seen nor heard of a Munter Hitch. If it is unknown, it is DANGEROUS.

A year back a friend wanted to climb, so I take him to Stone Gardens. This yuppie ponytail dude tells I have to re-take the belay test, but that I can't use my figure eight to belay there. So I quip "alright, well how about a munter hitch?" I get a blank stare. Finally I do the test and I get "well, that'll do, I guess." Then he warns me, I'm not allowed to show my friend how to belay there, and furthermore, he's "not allowed to take the belay test the same day he learns it." Nothing like being on the receiving end of a gym-rat superiority complex. And the best part is I paid good money for it. I'm never taking a newbie to a gym again. Straight to the rock.

Those sort of rules are pretty universal. Who knows why they exist? I guess because the gyms are trying to sell their classes. It seems rather silly. They are going to make more money from the new climber's gym fees. More likely, their lawyers told them they would be more liable if someone was injured on the same day the belayer was trained.

Those sort of rules are pretty universal. Who knows why they exist? I guess because the gyms are trying to sell their classes. It seems rather silly. They are going to make more money from the new climber's gym fees. More likely, their lawyers told them they would be more liable if someone was injured on the same day the belayer was trained.

Remember back in grade school (HS, college, whatever) when you'd stare at the material you were supposed to study, dash in and write it on the test paper, then forget it before you even turned the test in? Same idea here, I think. "Wait, I did this last time I was here for the belay test..." Yikes! I think their idea is that you should have practiced it a couple times before you go in for the test.

Probably one of those things that makes more sense if you're making the rules than trying to figure out why they exist.