bunglehead

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sheepshanks are just not all that cool.

now the thief knot and the highwayman's knot on the other hand are pretty useless but definitely cool cool.gif

The highwayman's knot ROCKS. I love tying my dog up outside the market with that knot. I don't know the thief knot though....

the thief knot is a retied reef knot with the tails on opposite sides instead of the same side if that description makes sense...

sailors used to tie their kit bags up with it then if someone was in their bag, they wouldn't know the knot and would retie it as a reef knot, and the sailor would be able to tell a thief had been in their bag o gear, and go looking for the culprit. bigdrink.gif

I thought it was called a "not knot"?

The climbing application I have heard of for sheep shank was in one of those ... "you only have one rope to rappel but all your anchors are more than 1/2 rope length apart WHAT DO YOU DO???" threads. The idea was to cut the middle thread of the sheep shank, rap down and shake the rope free. rope gets a little shorter with each rap but otherwise BOMBER!

ya my grandad had some sailor story about some sailor who neeed ropes for rigging. all the chandlers were sold out so he went to a church and begged for the bell ropes. monks said he could have them if he could get them down so he did some set up like that, fix rope at one end, slide down the rope then shake it till the knot at the end shakes free and down comes the "fixed' rope. pitty.gif

...no one knows that one but knot math geeks...

[geeking_out]

My most used not is the "nul knot" thay looks like a straight piece of rope w/o any knot at all. I use it ALL THE TIME. Kind of like the ./ directory

(note I never closed the [geeking_out]. I'm working on it.)

thief knot knots_azthief.gif

Did you know, the knot that is to the square/granny knot as the thief knot is to the reef knot, is called the "why knot". no one knows that one but knot math geeks, because it is totally useless!!!

Supposedly, the thief knot did have a purpose. Sailors used to commonly tie their sea chests shut using a square knot. If a sailor suspected that someone was going through his belongings, he would substitute a thief knot for the square knot. The thief mistakes the thief knot for a square knot. When he refastens the rope he uses an ordinary square knot and is detected thereby.

thief knot knots_azthief.gif

Did you know, the knot that is to the square/granny knot as the thief knot is to the reef knot, is called the "why knot". no one knows that one but knot math geeks, because it is totally useless!!!

Supposedly, the thief knot did have a purpose. Sailors used to commonly tie their sea chests shut using a square knot. If a sailor suspected that someone was going through his belongings, he would substitute a thief knot for the square knot. The thief mistakes the thief knot for a square knot. When he refastens the rope he uses an ordinary square knot and is detected thereby.

did you actually read the entire thread above???

• 10 months later...