Yosemite questions

DPS

I am thinking about taking a short trip to Yosemite in the beginning of June and had some logistical questions.

Does one need reservations for camping permits? How much does it cost to camp? Would it be advisable to camp in Camp 4 with my non-climber girlfriend or would the debauchery be too much?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

You can't make reservations at Camp 4, it's first come first serve. I like camping there cause you can meet lots of great climbers from all over the world, but don't count on it being quiet. It's 5 bucks a night per person.

check out this page for all the information you'd everwant to know about Yosemite climbing, or the Park.

If you plan to stay in the 'regular' campgrounds, you will need reservations in advance. A google search on Yosemite campground reservations will send you to the internet reservations page. Check back on a regular basis as people do cancel reservations. Whether or not camp 4 has too much debauchery probably depends on your girlfriend.

If Tuoulumne is open and you're heading there, half of the campground is first come, first serve, so show up early in the morning and you'll probably get a site, no problemo, even if the reservations are all full. In general, the people on the phones at th reservation service (not in Yosemite) don't have a clue. You can also check out reservations at Crane Flat, about 1/2 hour outside of the Valley.

I think that the regular sites ar $15-18 a night, I think. camp 4 is cheaper ($3/person/nite???).

enjoy! Granite is good.

Here's a little tip if you stay in C4. At the restrooms, if you go around back there's an unmarked door. It's the handi-crapper. If you want some bathroom privacy, or can't tolerate the funk of a room full of filthy climbers taking dumps...you got it...the handicrapper. Also works well if you need to shoot-up some smack since the door locks, and your woman might not be so terrified of staying there if she's got a little bathroom privacy. But remember this...if you're taking too much time in the handicrapper, I WILL beat on the door and do all other manner of things to disturb you until you get out of my handicrapper.

Dan -

How much is too much? As noted above, Camp 4 is "only five bucks" and it is first-com-first-serve. In general, you will find a younger and more partying crowd there than you might at The Pines or elsewhere but it is a national park and they do have law enforcement. It is not exactly like camping at The Feathers, in Frenchmen's Coulee.

- Matt

Funny you should bring this up.

I will be in almost the exact same boat.

I will most likely be taking my non-climber wife through Yosemite in July.

As a psuedo Yosemite veteran, I am opting to take her to a more "civilized" campground. She likes the car camping experience.

In July, the dust from the dirt parking lot blows through camp 4 like a cattle drive. Plus when you miss getting a site, laying out a pad and sleeping bag on the ground at dusk is not her cup of tea.

Have fun

Camp 4 isn't Camp 4 anymore. Since it's ultra-cheap it attracts as many SoCal weirdos as climbers. I had some great experiences in the 70s, partying all night with climbers from all over the world, hooking up with folks with similar goals. Last time I was there a few years ago we had the misfortune to share a campsite with a guy from LA that wore knee-high mukluks and shorts the whole time we were there. He wasn't a climber though we were trying to figure out how to get him on the end of the rope. His boom box never stopped and when he wasn't stuffing white stuff up his nose he was sharing his unique philosophy of the world with us. Not to say you can't get lucky and end up sharing a campsite with like-minded folks, but if you lose be sure to take earplugs. Check out Curry Village for other options.

Terry

IMHO, I would avoid camping in the valley. Perhaps i'm just one who enjoys somewhat of an outdoors feel, even try to grab some solitude (I know both of which are almost imposible in yose), but staying in the valley, regardless of if its at Curry, IV, or any of the other car campgrounds, its like you have gone to a disneyland outdoor theme park.

Crane flat, just at the top of the valley on the Hodgdon Meadow entrance side is a bit more removed from the throngs of tourists, and the motorcades of german tourists in rental RV's. The car camp ground up there has just a bit more of a "camping" feel to it, and is close to some of the parks other gems (groves of big ass trees) that will give the non climbers in the party some other options to do.

Also, crane is at the junction for the turn off to Tuolomne, so you are camped at a good spot to hop off to either area.