Up and down, in and out...

E-rock

How many of ya'll still ski "old-school" (fuck I hate that term) and ride the springy camber of your skis down the slope.

Vs.

How many of you ride "new-school" (I hate that even more) surfing the pow in big, fast arcs just like the knuckle draggers?

I know this thread is dumb, but ya'll will still respond and start arguing. moon.gif

The reason I bring this up is because I finally skied my Karhu Jaks in conditions that illuminated to me the true advantages of the fat ski. I can still ski them in short radius, bouncing turns (what snowboarders call "butt-wiggles" although I have good technique so that term is inaccurate).

In old, straight skis if I were to make a large radius turn around an obstacle after my rhythm was set, the skis would often auger and it would be difficult to regain rhythm, however, with the fatties, I can do this and get right back into "up and down, in and out" after a fast, long-radius turn, keeping it smooth and fluid. Anyone else who still likes to ski "like it's 1999" notice this advantage from their wide-rides?

Edited by E-rock

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newskool.

Volant Spatulas.

None of this up/down, in/out shit, it is about being on top all the time, sinking only when you choose. Ruleing anything soft. ANYTHING. You like surfin your Jaks, take the next step and try a pair.

Insane. This is the best I can describe it..

old skinny skis : modern fat skis

as

modern fat skis : Volant Spatulas

I like Lawgoddess' response. smileysex5.gif

I'm not sure if I exactly get your message, E-Rock. What kind of skiing am I doing in this video? (I'm the guy skiing, i.e., the guy in the yellow jacket)

Klenke after the long download wait I can see why you're unsure of what I'm talking about. All I can say is, widen your stance and get your weight more centered, you'll be old-skool noodlin' in no time.

Thanks, E.

I might look a little rusty in that video. First time out this year and first time since last March. Plus, not my gear but Sergio's. The boots are a little looser than what I'm used to. I've always been a tight parallel skier. Used to be an above-average moguler, which requires it.

snowbird does get tracked fast. for your best bet take the tram and ski into mineral basin. you can reach alta from this point too. hike to the top of baldy and ski baldy chutes. also go to the top of the gad lifts and hit the gad chutes or ski into scotties bowl.(both require some hiking) you will ski down to the white pine trail head and will have to hitch back up to the bird(which aint that hard). anything really on the front side of the bird is dumb.

but erock is right and you should ski alta.

tho we are expecting some new snow this week.

plus you should come to the olympic park in park city as world cup nordic jumping is taking place. and there will be a mega party both nights.

TLG,

I never used to ski the 'Bird very much so I don't know it well, but there are some long, steep lines on the front side. The further you go out on the Cirque Traverse, the longer the fall lines get. The Lunch Chutes, and the Birthday chutes on the skiers left side of the traverse (well past the cirque) are fun and don't see as much traffic as other areas (like the cirque). Mach Schnell is a classic line at the very end of the traverse (the nose of the ridge that separates the east and west sides of the Bird) that rivals any lift accessed run in north america.

But Erik is right. Skiing near the Bird and Alta is all about hiking for freshies after about 11 am. Alta can be better because they open the gates one at a time and after the High T is all tracked out, usually they backside opens, then they'll open ballroom and the shoulder, and then the next day they'll open the castle. The Bird opens in all in one fell swoop.