Harness Life?

Jake_Gano

How often do you make a habit of replacing your harness? My first thought would be 'whenever it needs it' : frayed webbing, blown stichting, taken big scary fall, etc., but I noticed on the stuff bag for my harness it recommends every two years of weekend use. Does this seem often to anyone else? I've had my one and only harness for two years now, and it's seem 4x a week in the gym, plus about a weekend of climbing every month, plus about about a month straight of being frozen solid every night and then worn all day long, and it's still going strong, hell this thing looks new compared to some of the scary straps I've climbed on! So what are you guidelines for retiring a harness?

Oh by the way $ for $ the REI onsight II is about the best alpine harness on the market. $25? no stupid padding to get wet and freeze solid, and if you're lucky and it fits you like it fits me then it's not a bad rock harness.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh by the way $ for $ the REI onsight II is about the best alpine harness on the market. $25? no stupid padding to get wet and freeze solid, and if you're lucky and it fits you like it fits me then it's not a bad rock harness.

Amen,..To bad they don't make them or sell them anymore. I cut mine up and modified it down to 8.5 ounces. And it was comforable. Ultimate sport comp and alpine harness. REI actually made something that was perhaps the best in the world for a short time? - And cheap.

I replaced my BD XX harness when the belay loop stitching started coming undone. Some stiching on the waist belt in the front had seen better days.

Layton- that Petzl harness you mentioned above might be the Adjama at 13oz. Looks like a good design. I like the idea of the 2 different types of gear loops (hard in front and soft in back). It has loops for those Caritool carriers which look pretty sweet for ice screws.

The Sama is the same thing w/out the adjustable leg loops and weighes 11.6oz

Speaking of Petzl, how about those Nitros? Lighter & shorter than Screamers.

Jedi