Yocum

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends. Are you planning on doing it direct, i.e. climbing all three gendarmes and the headwall, or circumventing these obstacles? As a ballpark I would say it would take anywhere from 12 hours to two days doing the entire ridge direct. Traversing around the gendarmes would dramatically reduce this estimate.

This doesn't help much I know but there are so many variables: aerobic fitness, route conditions--whether its rimed up or not, weather, approach conditions, etc.

I think it took my partner and I about 4-6 hours from T-line to our retreat point near the top of the first gendarme. We were moving very slowly in near-perfect conditions on the approach but the ridge itself was in terrible shape.

Fuck god, religion is a lie, it was a joke in regards to the dipshit who told me I should go up the Hogsback, what a wanker. If you think I'm religious then you may need to wake up, this site is so full of bullshit I can't believe anybody would actually believe something that is written. Maybe I'm the one with the hook in my mouth and you two are reeling me in, who knows.

Definitely funny though that you seemed to think I would actually entertain the thought that there is some sort of all powerful being in the world. Fuck that unrational notion.

Take it easy and crash at Ill Saddle. Make sure the conditions are PERFECT and then giver her a go. With all gendarmes (direct) should be 12-16 hours. Traversing should take 6-10 hours roughly.

Or bite off a smaller piece to start out with and do Leuthold Col with the Upper Buttress of Yocum to get a moderate dosage of the terrain for the next time. Just remember there are still more difficult routes than this one on the little hill that could! bigdrink.gif

Actually it took us 2 hours and 20 minutes to the saddle, under an hour to the ridge, and we were on the ridge proper after a quick 5-10 minutes cruise up some fun terrain. I don't think we're in great shape, just descent, we don't work out or anything, don't run, so if you're heading up I would say you could make it to the ridge in less than four hours (it's packed the whole way thanks for snow cats).

Jarred, decent shape and simulclimbing, I would say something like

+2 hours to Illumination...

Jeezuschrist, Alex! 3,500 feet in 2 hours?! I'd say that's more than "decent" shape! yellaf.gif

1,750 feet per hour on the Palmer is definately a good time. I'm ususally about 1,500 in boots, a bit faster on skins, and am only in decent shape. 1,500 gets you to the saddle in 2 hours 20 minutes. I'd rather stay in a comfy bunkbed at Timberline Lodge or at home.

Sorry, I am assuming anyone who is going to Illumination is doing so with skis and skins. 1500+ vert an hour with skis on below 9000 ft doesnt seem that extreme to me, especially for someone who is seriously trying Yocum. Sure, it might be a harder pace than your average Joe going up Tiger Mountain, but then again if you need 4 hours to get to Illumination you may want to try another route.

The real question is, "What Would Colin Do? (WWCD)" smile.gif

Sorry, Alex, I was thinking of that time suggestion of yours as booting it up there. I suppose you could stash your boards and come down from the Pearly Gates behind Crater Rock to pick them up. I was thinking of the descent in terms of a striaght bug-out from the top down to Timberline. Hence, booting it up to Illumination. My bad. That time on skins is doable, even by this FOWB.

Jarred, decent shape and simulclimbing, I would say something like

+2 hours to Illumination...

Jeezuschrist, Alex! 3,500 feet in 2 hours?! I'd say that's more than "decent" shape! yellaf.gif

1,750 feet per hour on the Palmer is definately a good time. I'm ususally about 1,500 in boots, a bit faster on skins, and am only in decent shape. 1,500 gets you to the saddle in 2 hours 20 minutes. I'd rather stay in a comfy bunkbed at Timberline Lodge or at home.

It takes me 2h-10m-11.875s to get to the saddle. Anything more is just embarressing. cry.gif