The Cloudveil Manipulative Campaign

cracked

Hehehe. Anyone remember that thread?

Back on topic. My Ice Floe gloves were bought on Friday. I climbed six pitches of ice on them over the weekend. One rappel. And one of the fingers blew a seam. I'd sew it back together, but unlike the BD drytools, they have a separate liner, so I can't get at the seam. They're going back. mad.gif

My other dislike of the glove is that all the padding and stuff makes them very difficult to dry.

In conclusion, Cloudveil couldn't be farther from their roots, and are only intersted in making a buck rather than making quality gear. tongue.gif

Well, maybe not, but these gloves do seem to have weak seams (no pun intended).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't get it.

And this was hardly a rant. They're nice gloves, but I'm disappointed that they didnt' last very long.

I was ignoring you. I don't pay attention to remembering retarded posts from 18 months ago.

A sample size of 1 is not a usefully large sample. Now my patagonia lightweight gloves where the finger seam has blown out 3 times, same place, that's a sample.

I've had spectacular luck with Cloudveil's customer service. I trashed their pants bushwacking this summer, sent them back, and got sent (for free!) a new pair of pants, a brand new ice floe jacket, and promises of their new spring line when it comes out, so I can see if I can trash them again.

I'd bet that if you send those gloves back, Cloudveil will treat you right.

Jiminy, I can't believe I waded through four pages of whining about BD. rolleyes.gif

Both BD and CV have good rep for good CS. If you don't like those gloves, tell them so. As far as the seam blowout, they are going to want to know about that. Companies need to know when their stuff falls apart so they can make corrections.

All of the whining here and on that BD thread, well, it makes me want to hurl. Be proactive before you start trashing companies.

What trashing of companies is going on here? That's right...none! The BD thread is a different matter, but please don't try to portray me as bashing anyone. Your self-righteousness gets old kinda fast, Allison.

I went to FF today, who said they'll ship the gloves to CV and we'll see what they say.

I had the same problem with my first pair last year, check here

My first pair of gloves fell apart after one weekend, my second pair have 30+ days on them and are doing fine. I did seam seal the crap out of them though.

A few points.

1.These gloves are the best combo of warmth and dexterity out there.

2.Yes, they get wet easy, and stay wet a long time. I wear thicker gloves at the belay and put them in my jacket, so at least they're warm and wet for the next lead.

3.I try not to rap in them.

4.I think mine will last the rest of this season. (for a total of 2 winters)

Get a new pair paul and seam seal the hell out of them.

You must align your expectations with performance. If there is water running on the ice, you should choose other gloves. The fabric is only schoeller and therefore nobody said it was waterproof. Although I have them, like them most and have not had a problem with seam blow out, I did not use them in Lillooet on wet routes. On the other hand I used tham last year on Polar Circus and they were fine the whole trip and survived all those raps plus many more. I was surprised how warm they were for the thickness. Keep in mind thinner gloves can be surprising warm as you don't have to grip so hard which is a cause for cold hands. I also treat the leather with dubin with silicone to keep it supple yet waterproof. The moisture predominantly comes in from the back side of the glove unless you rap on wet ropes where you then are forcing water through the leather.

I climbed Sycronicity in the New BD Spindrift glove. BD claimed "waterproof" and I was skeptical. I must say my hands stayed completely dry in spite of climbing on very wet ice with surface water. It was only the last rap where the ropes were completely soaked that I finally felt water on the inside. Since the glove doesn't have a liner, I didn't get them dry for the next day and I concur on a multi day trip it might be difficult to get them dry. Bottom line, bring a quiver of gloves and at least an extra pair on ANY climb. I was wishing I had the vinylove last weekend although you still need something else for rapping.

A tip: Radiant heat drys anything twice as fast as warm blown air. Direct sunlight, radiators, inside sleeping bags and infloor heating systems are all sources of radiant heat.