Trimming Posts

catbirdseat

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I am the person that trimmed the Fatality at RedRock thread, and I traded a few PMs with catbirdseat afterwards because he still wanted to post on the thread, I thought I would take a sec to answer some of your now oft heard complaints.

catbirdseat: I believe that great care should be taken when trimming posts. Offending material should be moved to Spray unless it violates the rules, that is, obscene or violent. I don't think it should be deleted just because it is off topic.

cbs posted this after my initial PM reply from him, in which he asked why I trimmed the thread and I answered that the spray on how to treat depression and who was bipolar and who was a psychologist didnt need to be posted in that thread. This is, of course, my opinion. Again in my opinion, it was either prune the post or move the entire thing to Spray. I thought the original post had alot of merit, so I chose to prune. What surprised cbs wasnt the prune, but that the "remainder of the thread" wasnt available. The "remainder" is in fact a number of different, fairly out of context branches of a more complex posting tree. Anyway, not moving one of these to Spray was, like all things, is a judgement call.

There was nothing then and is nothing now that is preventing you from continuing your discussion in a new thread.

Muffy : I didn't think there was anything WRONG with what anyone sdaid. But perhaps it was not respectful to Jasons experience to discuss what we were discussing.

No there was nothing wrong with what anyone was saying. I didnt object to the content, only the devolution of the thread into the typicaly bullshit. However, the thread had gotten to about 68 posts by this morning, and simply chopping it off at an arbitrary point was not possible: there were about 5 separate branches. So I pruned the branches. I explained all this to cbs, and offered to move the largest branch, of about 21 posts that started with one from iain and ended with one from HRoark, over to Spray, so that he could continue it. However, we never went forward with that. The branches are still available, and my offer to move them stands.

He ended up posting this thread, instead. I think its a totally legit question (re: pruning, editing posts, deleting stuff, moderating) which is why I am taking the time to explain why I do what I do.

marylou : On the other hand, the moderating here is taking on a whole new form. At one point yesterday, one poster, in a roundabout way, called another poster the "c" word. Later on that day, I saw the sentence containing the "c" word had been replaced by something along the lines of "take a motrin", directed at the person originally called the "c" word. Below that was a note that the post had been edited by one of the moderators.

marylou, the passive voice you use shouldnt hide the fact that it was someone calling you a CUNT. I edited that post, which was "Take a motrin, you cunt." to "Take a motrin, you are being annoying." That was my first touch on the thread. If none of you have gotten it yet, that word is not appreciated in any forum. But if you insist, marylou, I will certainly not be so "heavy handed" in the future and turn a deaf ear to people calling you a cunt.

Doctorb: BTW, how many moderators are there now?

Clearly, too many. rolleyes.gif

trask: I want details, or better yet, my day in court to plead my case to my peers.

Spray needs NO, NADA, NONE, ZIP, moderating.

This is not a web board run by committee, and there is no such thing as true freedom of speech here. Moderation will continue, not because any one of us particularly relishes holding your hands while you bandy about the Internet day in and day out, but because we believe that some of the posts are not in the best interest of the site or its general readership, and that goes for every forum. You have been told as much many times, and anyone who just cant deal with it is welcome to move on and find greener pastures.

Moderation is always judgement call, like parenting. I am sure some of you can relate. All of us try hard to be very light and very fair. But if you act like children, why should you still be treated like adults? Moderators loyalties always lie with the site and the continued posting priveleges of the group, not to absolute freedom of speech ("uh, "expression", right) of a few avid posters.

Alex

Alex: What gives you the right to edit content? Shouldn't you just delete offensive content? "Take a motrin, you're being annoyiny" does not capture the essence of the original. I didn't think moderators where editiors as well. If so, please take a look at Muffy's horrible spelling atrocities. Now THAT is offensive.

BTW, I asked how many moderators there are because it seems like your numbers have increased as of late.

Alex: What gives you the right to edit content? Shouldn't you just delete offensive content? "Take a motrin, you're being annoyiny" does not capture the essence of the original. I didn't think moderators where editiors as well. If so, please take a look at Muffy's horrible spelling atrocities. Now THAT is offensive.

BTW, I asked how many moderators there are because it seems like your numbers have increased as of late.

tongue.gif MEANIE. my spelling os unique not offensive grin.gif

tongue.gif MEANIE. my spelling os unique not offensive grin.gif

Case in point: What does the enterance to the uterus have to do with this conversation? wink.gif

Many have the times been that I was prepared to make a sarcastic remark about Muffy's spelling and then stopped myself. She does the best she can and my ridiculing her would only serve to piss her off. I can understand her most of the time, anyway. tongue.gif

Could you be a little more self-righteous and condescending, while simultaneously slamming her shitty spelling in an off-hand way?

Many have the times been that I was prepared to make a sarcastic remark about Muffy's spelling and then stopped myself. She does the best she can and my ridiculing her would only serve to piss her off. I can understand her most of the time, anyway. tongue.gif
it doesn't bother me, commenting on my spelling is like pointing out I am a blonde. wink.gif

Alex: What gives you the right to edit content? Shouldn't you just delete offensive content? "Take a motrin, you're being annoyiny" does not capture the essence of the original. I didn't think moderators where editiors as well.

I'll be honest with you, I never thought that outright deleting was a better option than making an edit..I guess as a user I would feel more pissed off if someone had just arbitrarily nixed my post, than if someone had changed one or two words. As a user, I would rather that my post stayed (especially if there was more to it than a one liner) than was deleted just because of one word. But I suppose if your rather just see "objectionable content" deleted entirely rather than edited, it makes little difference to me. You are right that my edit didnt capture the meaning of the original, but that was not my intent. And yes, moderators often edit a post rather than outright delete it. I think because there's been some content deleted over time, and people are always pissed off when it mysteriously disappears, with no paper trail.

Oh sorry, the last four people promoted moderator were chucK, fern, minx and ehmmic, I think. Minx was especially singled out for her crafty way with the boys in Spray. fern was selected because she was interested especially in the BC forum, which few people (you might agree) are so qualified to oversee. For the most part, moderators mod only one forum, or have specific jobs. I moderate only the main board. Not to draw sympathy, but this is just a job after all, and it certainly feels that way most days.

Anyway, jon and tim are sometimes receptive to the suggestions for new mods because to be honest very few moderators are really ever online at any one time. I would expect that as the site grows in readership and forums (which has been a LOG curve, not linear, the last 3 years), you should expect more moderators.

There is a pretty open forum on what should be moderated, how to do it, what is correct, and whats good for the site. Also whats appropriate content, such as the "c" word. The mods themselves are really pretty diverse in their opinions on how to go about doing certain things or dealing with certain users. Which is only a good thing. Too many people of one grain would ruin the site, much quicker than you think its being ruined now...

Alex

All of you need to shut the fuck up.

There are 18 moderators, either picked by me or the other moderators. They represent all view points and don't agree with each other. They do make intelligent arguements, compromises, and make decisions on what best for the overall group, which is more than I can say for most of you.

More importantly, they give a shit. I do not. Be glad it's not me moderating your ass.

All of you need to shut the fuck up.

There are 18 moderators, either picked by me or the other moderators. They represent all view points and don't agree with each other. They do make intelligent arguements, compromises, and make decisions on what best for the overall group, which is more than I can say for most of you.

More importantly, they give a shit. I do not. Be glad it's not me moderating your ass.

hehehe, surprised you held off as long as you did jon. thumbs_up.gif Fuck the whiners, I say.

Sounds like a bunch of cry.gif to me.

18? No shit? Jon, you should get tweaked on some meth and about sixteen shots of espresso and go on a banning/post chopping rage spree for a day or two. After that the other mods will seem tame by comparison and people will stop by Sam's Club after work and pick up a case of STFU....for cheap. Hey somebody pick me up a case too, I could use it! yellaf.gif

c'mon guys more boxing_smiley.gif

lummox, you're suckin major ass aren't ya. how's alex's ass smell? fuckin pilgrim

Nah, he just doesn't hold a grudge anymore than you do. It's not worth it to take most online things personally.

I think this has been one of the more entertaining bits of cc.com navel gazing of late, along with some excellent moderator input.