Alternative Protection

Mos_Chillin

When I was climbing in Toulumne a few years back, I ran into a German whose rack looked kind of like this:

anchor2.jpg

Years ago, I wanted to do a climb requiring a #4 but couldn't justify buying one, couldn't find one to borrow, so I ended up making the gear out of a piece of hardwood slung with webbing. I never used it, but had it for years, and would pull it out as a joke occasionally.

I have read on this board someone who tied off an iceax buried in some moss?

What other kinds of strange gear have you used? Discuss.

-Moses

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was climbing in Toulumne a few years back, I ran into a German whose rack looked kind of like this:

I believe that's actually standard/required protection at some of the sandstone crags near Dresden in Germany. Others here probably know more.....

Sketch city, the only pro is knots and bigass bolts. Metal hardwear is forbidden due to percieved rock damage. I never led much, I don't hold much faith in either the rock or the pro. hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

...I found a rock that fit into the crack, slung it with webbing, gave it the bounce test, and bailed off it.

In retrospect, that probably wasn't very smart. hellno3d.gif

Hey, that's great stuff! I've done that quite a few times in the past (Mt. Stuart and Les Calanques come immediately to mind). Make sure you place the slingage to one side of the rock or the other, against the side of the crack's wall. It helps to jam it better. thumbs_up.gif

mac0-062.jpg (tricam version)

Overheard from nerdy newbie at the REI climbing counter:

"Do they fold up for easy transport on your rack?"

"Oh, sure. No problem."

"How do you get them to deploy once you put 'em in the crack?"

"Well, that's what this here little straw is for..." yellaf.gif

I was solo aiding "Toes of The Fisherman" at Smith once and there weren't any anchors. Being a cheap bastard, I found a rock that fit into the crack, slung it with webbing, gave it the bounce test, and bailed off it.

In retrospect, that probably wasn't very smart. hellno3d.gif

I have done that too, but in Granite, not sure if I would trust that Tuft stuff. In Granite with a solid rock I feel safe and trust it.

can i have 2? i like to have back ups of all my cams.
would be kind of a pain on your rack when they start squabbling with each other. maybe you could separate them a bit with one of those aid racks. the noise would be intolerable after awhile, and no doubt your belayer would have to carry an umbrella