Too much freshiez

philfort

Snow was sick today... headed up towards Lichtenburg from the north. Heavy snow all day suprised us (I think the forecast in the morning called for 3-5 inches?). Broke trail all the way up Smith Brook Road, and had to break trail all the way back... it accumulated about 1 foot in a 3 hour period, and probably 1.5 to 2 feet while we were out. Triggered a small 1 foot slab, and loose snow slides were coming down everywhere (even down to smith brook road), decided it was time to turn around. Not a good time to be out. So actually the skiing wasn't that enjoyable, just deep. Very fluffy light snow, so actually some good turns were had on lower angle stuff. You could easily push your poles in 3 feet.

And tomorrow is supposed to be the stormy windy day!... be careful out there....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bobbyperu said:

too much freshies... didn't know there was such a thing...

I believe there is such a thing. I went to Crystal Mountain (in I think it was 1993) the day after they received six feet of freshiez (the second-highest 24-hour total ever in Washington). Where the snow had not been groomed it was impossible to ski in. Picture powder up to your head. Even Deerfly and Exterminator weren't steep enough really. And then trying to ski the manmade snow canyons at their bases back to the groomed area was death defying. I'd fall into the snow and then not be able to extricate myself. Poles for leverage just kept sinking and sinking. I essentially had to maneuver my body over my skis (no easy feat when you're swimming in pow) then stand up then hope I didn't fall down again. It sucked! But nonetheless it was cool to see that spectacle that day. I'll never forget it.

i pushed some slabby stuff loose in the trees on Saturday, hopefully the conditions will stabilize some for BC on sunday, but i doubt it (w/o calling 526-6677), but i'm lift skiing for ease of powder delivery. also because i have to, but its going to be rocking! go get some fluffies!