Middle Fork - this affects YOU!

Stefan

actually stefan it does not affect the access to garfield.........[/QB]It does between Nov 1 and April 15

quote:

as for chimmeny it does, but that is a brutal approach anyways...much nicer to come in from the rachel lks area........

Erik I think U R konfuzed. Rachel Lakes is a long ways from Chimney. The approach to the backside of Chimney Rock via the Dutch Miller Gap trail is beautiful, almost completely brushless and pretty easy. This trail also feeds a beautiful hiking approach to Bears Breast and Little Big Chief. Little Big Chief is a great doable day hike (I did it this last Sept) via the MF road.

quote:

and dont frogot big snow and all the stuff

Big Snow via Hardscrabble Lakes is a nice scramble or 10 pitches of clean granite.

quote:

in many wayz this is bad, buti think in the end it is the a good decision and i am notifying the tool that i agree...

Please let us know why you think this is a good decision Erik. I don't think it is. Gating the road at Dingford creek is not going to affect the "lawlessnes". That is all going on West of Dingford Creek. The reason they are gating it at Dingford is because a bunch of wimps don't or can't drive the road past there and are all ready to give up the access of everybody who can. Easy to give away other people's stuff.

quote:

we should be less selfish about the mountains and let them be or atleast give them a chance to relax a bit too........

This is not about letting the mountains rest. It is about people who are afraid of hooligans.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a public meeting on this proposal over 3 years ago in North Bend. There were over 30 people present and there was overwhelming support for keeping the road OPEN.

Since then the USFS has tried to let the issue fall off the radar. I have received no mailings from USFS re this issue since I submitted my comments against closing the road. I can't help but wonder if my "official public comments" (yes, they were civil and informed) weren't torn up and thrown in the trash. Just goes to show the futility of negotiating with the "let wilderness take over" crowd. "Compromise" with these folks = lost access for YOU.

Opening up the Middle Fork Trail to mountain bikers and horses is just a bone they're throwing to placate those who might dare question the wisdom of this decision. This "bone" will be retracted in short order ("No Bicycles/Horses" signs to be posted three of four years from now)

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

>>>Just goes to show the futility of negotiating >>>with the "let wilderness take over" crowd.

Don't confuse special interest groups (the "let wilderness take over" crowd) with bureaucratic rail roading. Public comment was simmilarly ignored over the issues of the Fee Demo prg, Mt. Rainier "cost recovery prg." and Denali climbing fees. Face it, your gov't is concerned w/ its own growth agrandisement not your opinions.

I now open nominations for the Cascade Climbers party.

I looked at my Topo! software and it appears that access to Garfield will still be possible year-round. Or, more specifically, between Nov. 1 and April 15, it looks like one would have to hike the road about 2.5 extra miles (5.0 miles round-trip) and ~100 feet of extra elevation gain from where they've gated it at Road 5640 (Taylor River Road junction?). This would require an extra two hours round-trip and could be done in the dark if necessary.

While I haven't been up the road past Garfield from Nov. 1 to April 15, I have been up it in June. In June it was extremely water-logged (lots of fording). I imagine it would be even worse (deeper) in the winter, so you might have to hike the road to Garfield anyway unless you had one of those huge Broncos.

Access to the north side of Garfield via Taylor River road will not be affected, presumably.

actually stefan it does not affect the access to garfield......

as for chimmeny it does, but that is a brutal approach anyways...much nicer to come in from the rachel lks area........

and dont frogot big snow and all the stuff

in many wayz this is bad, buti think in the end it is the a good decision and i am notifying the tool that i agree...

we should be less selfish about the mountains and let them be or atleast give them a chance to relax a bit too.....

and just think now to bring your drill up there to rap bolt those alpine faces will be soo much more difficult...