Trekking poles on planes

dryad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will they fit in your suitcase? Prob a better option even if you carry on. I've gotten away with knitting needles. In general, I think security has become quite lax lately as far as carry on items go but I still have to remember to keep my micra at home cantfocus.gif it's been almost confiscated a number of times.

WHY NOT PUT THEM WITH YOUR CHECKED BAGGAGE?

AND I DOUBT YOU COULD FLY WITH THEM AS A CARRY ON....

MY GRANDPA WAS STOPPED FOR HAVING A KNIFE HE WAS ISSUED BY THE US ARMY IN 1943 AND CARRIED THRU ALL 3 MAJOR WARS. THO THEY KISSED HIS ASS ONCE THE FIGUED OUT WHO HE WAS...THO HE STILL HAD TO PUT THE KNIFE IN HIS CHECKED LUGGAGE.

I have a pair of two section BD Flicklocks that don't fit into my duffle. Prior to Sept 11 I carried them on with no proplem. I last did this on September 8, 2001.

I can't imagine that they would let you carry them on now a days. Try putting them into your checked baggage. If they won't fit, just box em up with card board and duct tape.

Let us know what they say. I am very curious.

Good luck. wave.gif

and Erik...that cool that your old man carried that knife all those years through all that crap. I would have been PISSED if they tried to take it from him. hellno3d.gif

dryad said:

Has anyone gotten away with bringing them on a plane, or are they considered a potential weapon like nail clippers? I have those rubber tip covers, if that helps.

I just can't see you getting past the TSA screenpoint with those. Waaaaay too much like a weapon. When we went to Vietnam last year, they made me take my beard scissors (tiny little fold-up thingie) out of my carry-on and leave them at the screenpoint. madgo_ron.gif

Aside: The "silverware" on our flight to Taipei (Taiwan) was plastic, but once we boarded the plane for Ho Chi Minh City, we were served dinner with real stainless steel utensils, knives included! My wife and I found that soberingly funny. yellaf.gif

Guess they don't have to worry too much about terrorists there.

When I flew to Nepal in 2000, our checked bags were maxed out at the weight limit, so we carried all our metal hardwear on in our backpacks.

We had ice tools, crampons, "kifeblade" pitons, ice screws...all that stuff. And they didn't give us any hassel. those were the days...

The security check in Tokyo was pretty funny though, this petite Japannese woman with white gloves on pulling out my tools and crampons, you should have seen here face... hellno3d.gif

"They, are for mountain climbing"...making climbing motions with my arms. "ohhhh....ah so" nod,nod, bow, bow. Sweeet bigdrink.gif

I doubt they'd let you'd take even poles through carry on now, aybe if you were elderly or handycapped.

erik said:

WHY NOT PUT THEM WITH YOUR CHECKED BAGGAGE?

AND I DOUBT YOU COULD FLY WITH THEM AS A CARRY ON....

MY GRANDPA WAS STOPPED FOR HAVING A KNIFE HE WAS ISSUED BY THE US ARMY IN 1943 AND CARRIED THRU ALL 3 MAJOR WARS. THO THEY KISSED HIS ASS ONCE THE FIGUED OUT WHO HE WAS...THO HE STILL HAD TO PUT THE KNIFE IN HIS CHECKED LUGGAGE.

This sounds oddly reminiscent of that scene in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken concerning a watch.

erik said:

\

So...who is your grandpa?

sobo said:I just can't see you getting past the TSA screenpoint with those. Waaaaay too much like a weapon.

The checked back screeners at LAX recently spent time querying me on the purpose of my trekking poles. I highly doubt you'll be able to take them on board (pre 9/11 I was able to take an Ice Axe as carry on)

ehmmic said:

Holy cow Lambone! 3 bags at 70# each and they were maxed, and they didn't have your hardwear in them? What were you smuggling in?

You're only allowed two 70# check-ins.

We had expedition gear, 6 tents and about 500 meters of rope, plus all of our mountain food...it adds up quick. We should have baught used rope in one of the ghetto kathmand mountain shops.

My buddy now rents a storage space at a hotel in Kathmandu, which is the way to do it if you climb there often. wave.gif