Dogs and winter sports.

bunglehead

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience with booties on my dogs' paws is that in deep snow they're pretty much useless, or the dog just wants to rip them off. I used to use vaseline petroleum jelly to keep snow from balling up on their paws which works pretty good, and then I found this stuff called "musher's wax" which works great and can also be used as a balm if their paws are raw or cut.

My boxer boy has been on Mt. Rain-dog more times than I. His previous owners took him all over the cascades. He LOVES it. He's from kodiac alaska, so I guess that might have helped prepare him for the more adverse conditions. He is a hiking machine. Go go go go...

My boxer girl runs full speed non stop through any conditions, she bounds like a bunny through deep stuff, and just rips it up. Pretty funny to watch, it's not a long term thing though, and hour or two and she's exhausted and getting cranky and picking fights with the Boy. Just like a woman wink.gif

I have a boxer and he has been out for the day (never overnight) on numerous occasions on both boot pack and powder. He has never had a problem with his paws or getting cold. If anything he has a problem with getting to damn excited and being hot. As someone stated, one of the beauties of the fluff is he'll sleep for an entire day after getting spanked in the deep stuff. Here's to dogs. bigdrink.gif

You are coddling your stupid dog. I had a mutt who weighed 22 pounds that went almost everywhere I did. Grndma knitted him a wool sweater that he loved. Albert would have kicked you dog's ass and eaten his backstrap as a snack. Get up and go. If he follows, he is worthy.

wave.gif