What do you think?

Dan_Harris

I realize this is a Cascdes site, but Pinnacles was mentioned on another thread and some of you actually come down this way to climb, so I thought you might be interested. This was in yesterday's paper. How will it affect climbing and hiking during nesting season, or other parts of the year depending on where they decide to roost. Most of Bear caves is off limits due to bats. Has this happened up north with other birds?

Condors to be freed

PINNACLES NATIONAL MONUMENT - Six young Califonia condors that have been living in a flight pen since September will be released to the wild on Dec. 19, park representatives announced Monday. Once free, the condors will carry radio transmitters on their wings so that they can be monitored, said Pinnacles National Resource Manager Tom Leatherman. Breeding pairs of condors were common at Pinnacles National Monument through the 1930s and solitary birds were seen into the 1980s, but the population has since decreased. As of October 2002, the total population of California condors was 202 birds and 73 of those were in the wild, according to the Ventana Wilderness Society.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan_Harris said:

I realize this is a Cascdes site, but Pinnacles was mentioned on another thread and some of you actually come down this way to climb, so I thought you might be interested. This was in yesterday's paper. How will it affect climbing and hiking during nesting season, or other parts of the year depending on where they decide to roost. Most of Bear caves is off limits due to bats. Has this happened up north with other birds?

Condors to be freed

Not with birds, but down here around San Diego, we have seasonal closures for a few crags the first part of the year due to sensitive raptor habitat. And, the FS is serious about enforcing the closures--$10,000 fine.

I believe that closures are there for reasons...and should/need to be respected...

ClimbingH said:

Dan_Harris said:

Condors to be freed

Not with birds, but down here around San Diego, we have seasonal closures for a few crags the first part of the year due to sensitive raptor habitat. And, the FS is serious about enforcing the closures--$10,000 fine.

I believe that closures are there for reasons...and should/need to be respected...

uhm... what do you think a raptor is?

funny how the bird have been around alot longer then the our civilized types. so i dont see how it is an issue. granted in my opinion most biologist types attempt to "glorify" their work in an attempt to help their wanning egos.

certainlt caution should be excerised around any wildlife, but not to the put of creating fear.

scott_harpell said:

ClimbingH said:

Dan_Harris said:

Condors to be freed

uhm... what do you think a raptor is?

cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif

Oh, I am a dork...

Raptor is a raptor and, it is a bird. I was thinking also about closures to protect the raptiles that we have down here.

Raptor, raptile....almost the same thing, eh? cantfocus.gif

My standard disclaimer: English is not my native language. Now I am humiliated in front of the whole world, and will cry for the rest of the day cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif