Smith Turbo Cam Goggles

Sol

I just bought a pair of smith googles with a little battery-powered fan. I have been snowboarding with glasses for 17 frustrating years. I've done all kinds of things to prevent my glasses from fogging up. My most modern method was to either go inside where it is heated, or crank up the heat in the car. Then I would put mild soap on each side of the lenses of my glasses, and buff it until i could reasonably see. I would put my goggles on in the heat and not take them off all day. this method worked most of the time but when I overheated from hiking or if i fell and the googles came off I was screwed. Now with my new turbo cam goggles I can gear up outside like everyone else, slap my goggles on, turn on the fan for the initial condensation and I'm off. They've got a really low setting which you can barely hear, and a super high mode which is quite loud. they run on two triple a's. retail they are like $200 but I found them at sierratradingpost.com for $100. word, if you wear glasses and ski or snowboard do yourself a favor and hook it up. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't get why people's goggles fog up so much. the only time i have a problem with mine is when i cover up the bottom vents (like with a neck gaiter pulled up over my nose - oops!) or when i'm hiking too hard.

why do goggles fog up anyway? besides if there's no ventilation? i want the real scientific explanation, you nerds. wave.gif

snow or sweat turns into water vapor and is trapped under your goggles, if there is ventilation it is because the water vapor condenses on the colder lens. anti fog treatment creates a non-polar surface so the polar water molecules don't wanna stick (oil n' water).

use toothpaste on the lenses, or rub antipersperant all over your face and eyelids. girls, close your eyes when applying 'Secret'. Guys, don't smoke while doing this with the 'Right Guard' cry.gif

thelawgoddess said:

i don't get why people's goggles fog up so much. the only time i have a problem with mine is when i cover up the bottom vents (like with a neck gaiter pulled up over my nose - oops!) or when i'm hiking too hard.

why do goggles fog up anyway? besides if there's no ventilation? i want the real scientific explanation, you nerds. wave.gif

mabe ya need to ski harder. heat differences cause condensation.

thelawgoddess said:

Most people's goggles fog up because they park them on their head until they want to use them. The water vapour coming off their head gets trapped in the goggles, and when they take them off their warm head, and put them on their cold face, the vapour condenses.

thelawgoddess said:

The Smith turbo goggle is for people who wear glasses and has been around since the mid 80's. The problem isn't the goggles so much as their glasses. The googles are extra big to fit over glasses and the fan helps keep the glasses clear.

I laugh at people who wear their goggles on top their heads when not on their face. tsk, tsk, tsk! I treat my goggles with extra care. I use a bag for storage, never use paper napkins to wipe them and don't put them on the table at lunch time.

Edited by David_Parker

Do you have a problem with your eyeballs drying out? I would think with a constant airflow in the goggles, it would eventually dry my eyes out, any problems with this?

For me, my goggles only fog up when I have my scarf or neck gaiter thing pulled up too high, similar to what TLG mentioned. I couldn't see spending $200, or even $100...

rr666 said:

Do you have a problem with your eyeballs drying out? I would think with a constant airflow in the goggles, it would eventually dry my eyes out, any problems with this?

For me, my goggles only fog up when I have my scarf or neck gaiter thing pulled up too high, similar to what TLG mentioned. I couldn't see spending $200, or even $100...

no, I only turn the fan on when I need to. the one day i rode with them I turned the fan on 3 times for a total of about 2 minutes. $200 is crazy expensive, I promised myself that if I ever found them on sale I would pick them up, so I did. $100 isn't much more expensive than most regular goggles these days.

frosty_the_tradman said:

rr666 said:

no, I only turn the fan on when I need to. the one day i rode with them I turned the fan on 3 times for a total of about 2 minutes. $200 is crazy expensive, I promised myself that if I ever found them on sale I would pick them up, so I did. $100 isn't much more expensive than most regular goggles these days.

I guess I am just cheap. I bought a pair of goggles for $25 at a close-out sale, and was still hoping for a bit more of a discount...

Good to know that they don't dry your eyeballs out. Thanks.