Chair Peak

montdo

Take haert, Minx. After a brief rise to 10,000 feet, the freezing level is going back down and the North Face is going to start shaping up --- SOON.

FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 4000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 30S. EAST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 20 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW LEVEL 3500 FEET.

SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...PERIODS OF RAIN OR SNOW AND WINDY AT TIMES. SNOW LEVEL AROUND 2500 FEET SATURDAY AND SUNDAY...RISING TO 5000 TO 6000 FEET MONDAY...AND FALLING TO 4000 TO 5000 FEET ON TUESDAY.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

Take haert, Minx. After a brief rise to 10,000 feet, the freezing level is going back down and the North Face is going to start shaping up --- SOON.

FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 4000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 30S. EAST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 20 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW LEVEL 3500 FEET.

SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...PERIODS OF RAIN OR SNOW AND WINDY AT TIMES. SNOW LEVEL AROUND 2500 FEET SATURDAY AND SUNDAY...RISING TO 5000 TO 6000 FEET MONDAY...AND FALLING TO 4000 TO 5000 FEET ON TUESDAY.

well that's good news. cool.gif and it did look to be on it's way this w/e. smile.gif

I agree that this can be climbed year round. If you like Scottish style climbing go for it. Rob and I had a Scottish fest on it last December.... There was a couple of challenging sections and one spot where we would liked to have ice. Or maybe me anyway Geek_em8.gif

I would not expect large amounts of ice on Chair any time soon. Even based on the forecast I believe more snow needs to fall, so there is something to melt and refreeze.

I did Chair in December a few years ago in mixed conditions. Aside from the spindrift roaring down on the first pitch and the idiots pounding pins ahead of us it went well. Not much real ice over most of it but a worthy endeavor anyway. Sounds like conditions will be similar this weekend.

Have fun

bigdrink.gif

Not that it probably makes any difference anymore (since conditions may be completely changed by now), but the snow was good walking stuff (with crampons perhaps). It was mostly hard enough to walk right on top of, even in the direct sun. I wasn't able to kick steps with my approach shoes crazy.gif.

This was a fun obstacle grin.gif

274556-log.jpg

274556-log.jpg.f934163fd19670eab65b89c281c2c432.jpg