debate fodder: lots of new climbers

lummox

My whole friggin point was that they aren't lazy, ie bolting the line for their own leads but for others...Don't trash talk people you don't know...regardless of the side of the fence you are on...trashtalking their actions is fine, but you don't know them, so don't presume to know their motivations and whether they are lazy...they aren't...

and scott, don't be telling others (me) what's cool to climb and what's not...i don't give a shit how hard or not you climb...there are trad areas and there are sport areas...what's so difficult about that...i see no difference between smith and an in-bound ski area...it is there for recreating in...you don't like it, buzz off, go somewhere else...ie, ski outta bounds...

later "chief"...

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhh...what is the "no action" bullshit for, then?

and what's this about money?

And self glorification? There is no bigger glorification issue than busting out some stupid 5.whateverX route then leaving it that way and saying "go ahead, try it" is there???? SO that's what they've done often, then they go back and protect it for others...glorifying huh? rolleyes.gif

and scott, don't be telling others (me) what's cool to climb and what's not...i don't give a shit how hard or not you climb

i'm not doing that either. and i dont give a shit how hard you climb. my opinion is just as valid. it is a shared resource and the altercations of a few affet many. every user that is affected must have a say. everyone who is saying "so-and-so sid this is bla bla bla" are way off base. we matter. our opinions matter. i wont tell you where to climb, but i will express my opinion when i think your actions have a derogatory affect on other's experiences in the outdoors. i am not a bolt yanker and i am not a bolt placer. i think both should think carefully about the affect their actions will have on other users. the thing is, it is not possible to see bolting as restorative but it is with yanking. i dont know why you are getting so angry by my posts rudy, but mabe you need to read more carefully. i never called anyone lazy, i never told you where to climb and i think you are using the ol' cc.com strategery wink.gif to discredi me by placing words in my mouth.

Ian Caldwell has climbed 14a, and he put up a 10b at Smith among other routes. Please tell me scott how that is glorifying????

I'm with rumr on this one. Cleaning a route ie hard faqing work, I just know that from cleaning numerous boulders that are about 1/12th the size of sport routes put up around here.

Chopping bolts is more of a law thing than placing bolts. Same thing as somebody painting a "Caution children" sign to place in the street and having someone come and take it down because they put a whole in the ground instead of making a stand for it so it doesn't hurt the environment. Bolts are a safety factor in most cases.

RuMR said:

And self glorification? There is no bigger glorification issue than busting out some stupid 5.whateverX route then leaving it that way and saying "go ahead, try it" is there???? SO that's what they've done often, then they go back and protect it for others...glorifying huh? rolleyes.gif

why climb it? i dont understand this. mabe it is a different perspective on what it means to climb, but if i have to bolt the fuck outta a rock so i feel i can ascend, what have i accomplished? see my auto sig for details. as for the action... i was not talking about climbing there cheif.

ok...clarify your "action" comment? and your "money" comment...

they both seemed to me to imply that bolters around here were lazy and took the easy way out by buying a $600 drill and pussifying the lead...

Explain where my interpretation went wrong...

scott_harpell said:

RuMR said:

why climb it? i dont understand this. mabe it is a different perspective on what it means to climb, but if i have to bolt the fuck outta a rock so i feel i can ascend, what have i accomplished? see my auto sig for details. as for the action... i was not talking about climbing there cheif.

A bunch of the lines that they've done they DID W/O THE BOLTS first, then went back and protected them for others...Why can't you get that??

And many people are into the gymnastic quality of climbing...but don't really feel like dying if they blow their "routine"...and don't pull that crap about tr-ing...many of these pitches are unaccessible from the top down...

Chopping bolts is more of a law thing than placing bolts. Same thing as somebody painting a "Caution children" sign to place in the street and having someone come and take it down because they put a whole in the ground instead of making a stand for it so it doesn't hurt the environment. Bolts are a safety factor in most cases.

but climbers go out of there way to go on a climb and should be prepared for he endeavor. 6 year old crossign the street do so out of necessity. weak juxtaposition.

bolts are for safety? well if you are concerned about safety, then climbing is not the sport for you. people die all the time doign this sport. this is a sport of calculated risks. if you aren't up for a certain climb then wait until you get stronger/bolder (alaCroft) and climb that shit!

joe_average said:

scott_harpell said:

joe_average said:

Hmph. I meant to miss that pagetop.

Scott, you're an idiot.

aw Chief. ran outta ritalin, Chief? hahaha.gif

Whatever, Chief. Why don't you go do some homework, Chief.

Later, Chief!

Cracked, i think his proper address is SquawTalkaLottaShitt.... yellaf.gif

scott_harpell said:

but climbers go out of there way to go on a climb and should be prepared for he endeavor. 6 year old crossign the street do so out of necessity. weak juxtaposition.

bolts are for safety? well if you are concerned about safety, then climbing is not the sport for you. people die all the time doign this sport. this is a sport of calculated risks. if you aren't up for a certain climb then wait until you get stronger/bolder (alaCroft) and climb that shit!

Nice chestbeat for a wanker!

PS Rudy, I nearly sprayed coffee out of my nose! yelrotflmao.gif