perplexing

erik

okay so we all know that i am fat and weak, but still love to go climbing......

and this past weekend opened me up to a reality that i had not wanted to even consider, but as all things, it is out of my control........

so here it is.......

i know i have talked to some people whom are excellent face climbers, really excel at it....and that is awesome for them.......they find the body positioning quite and technique to ascend these fine looking face routes so easily and naturally....and that is great..though from what i gather most of them cannot climb a crack if there was a shotgun pointing at them....now there is me a i have never been a on a 5.6 face route that didnt own me.....and owned me bad.......what gives?? cause when ever i get on a 5.6 crack that stuff sails past me like a cherry 4th class spiltter hand crack.......

here is my examples, i do not know the actual rating but i think they are the same, and i also probably have the names wrong.....

creeping death owns my ass like a big hairy guy in a prison shower....wheres jihad, stood no chance against me and i beat the thing senseless like gw droppin bombs on the mud huts of the afganis......

granted i was only toproping these things due to my incedible weakness...

but does any one esle have similar things going on with them?? granted i climb about 20 face routes a year, but man the glaring differences are amazing to me...........

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's no reason that someone has to be better at one over the other, but . . .

quote:

I climb about 20 face routes a year

That's the problem - People are good at what they practice (in your case: cracks) and usually practice what they prefer(cracks). Then they get better at what they prefer(cracks) and shittier at what they don't like(face). Then they enjoy the things they prefer(cracks) even more. It's a vicious circle.

Put some time into the face climbing and it'll get better. Gym climbing, of course, is tailor-made to training for face climbing and doesn't take all that much time. If you want specific training advice, go to a class at a gym. As annoying as the gyms are to some people, the one thing most gyms know about is how to help people progress past 5.6 face . . .

The good thing, is that, while it is often hard to motivate one's self to train one's weaknesses, its the quickest way to improve your climbing overall, i.e. it'll also likely pay big dividends to your crack climbing.

matt

Erik,

You need to let go of your strict Christian values. These are holding you back.

The path to climbing enlightenment is in the middle ground. You have created these expectations for face climbing and when they are not met; you have pain and suffering and mental anguish. You need to surrender to those things that you can not control. ie, a cold wet day in a pot smoke filled camp Muir hut is better than any day that has ever existed in the toxic blizzard of the east coast or Texas.

If you think postive thoughts about face climbing, then it will come to you in a dream and you will flash that which earlier burdened you.

I think Matt's right on. I have the opposite problem as you, brought on by climbing at places like Vantage. So I'm committed this year to stuffing my hands/fingers into cracks of all kinds. I just have to drive to those places. Sounds like you were raised on Sierra granite, where cracks abound and a trad route meant cracks. I miss that kind of rock.

Give me any crack over any face anytime. Sometimes it is good to practice face climbing. Like if there's this really cute babe with a loose fitting halter top looking for a partner to go sport climbing with. That's OK. Just don't confuse that with what really matters. [Moon]

That is the weird thing about Vantage. Sometimes the ratings seem so easy that I think that I've used holds that are not "in". You know, like in a gym. I wish they just had colored tape at Vantage tongue.gif" border="0 . Anybody climbed Lingerie? That's rated 11d or something did not seem too bad (on toprope) if you just stemmed out to Sex Party the whole time.

Take all the ratings in that area, at least for the cracks, with a big grain of salt. For example compare them to Butcher of Bagdad (at least I think thats the name: a bolt protected stemming climb.)just to their left. BoB is a very good climb steming and a cross between face holds and little jams.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
Take all the ratings in that area, at least for the cracks, with a big grain of salt. For example compare them to Butcher of Bagdad (at least I think thats the name: a bolt protected stemming climb.)just to their left. BoB is a very good climb steming and a cross between face holds and little jams.

actually pp i did that route a couple years ago and thought much like most of his routes, that it is over praised........sheesh next thing you know someone might go bolt ddd................

actually on my planet we dont use capitals or puncuation at all.......amd your language of english....is quite trivial as well....

and i dont think i need to exlpain myself.....

sheesh......old people now a daze............