How to deal with work

Wallstein

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wallstein I thought you were guiding in the valley? how'd you end up in cube-ville?

Not to pile on your pain, but my big life of leisure begins two weeks from today. Should last at least 10-12 months. more, if I get lucky/creative making money in between trips.But i set a record this winter- I worked for five months straight! yes, that's right, five. haven't matched/bested that since 97/98. This time has been hell compared to past stints of work, for a bunch of reasons- mostly because I was ready to leave about 8 weeks ago. My suggestion is to keep your work assignments short- three months or less. You can mentally justify doing tons of overtime because the end is within reach, and you make more money that way too. While in the office-work frenetically for two or three hours, then fuck off for a whole hour: draw topos, surf the net, do some freewriting, dream of big routes, make phone calls, listen to cds on your headphones. Not that I do any of that wink.gif" border="0 All the while look busy. You will then be productive and so won't arouse suspicion, but be able to spend some of the day in la la land, bridging the gap between today and tomorrow. Early on in a work period, I like to take some time off climbing entirely and focus on other things, clear my mind. then in the middle, start getting out every weekend, even if it's running up the nearby conditioning trail in a downpour.Rent basements, crash with parents, do anything you can to avoid leases.And finally- just remember you're a free agent. Accept nothing less than your bottom line. If it's not fun, there's always another choice, if you're open to it.

W-

Today is actually my last day and yesterday was my first. I can return to this job at anytime due to the fact that my dad is the pres/owner of the company. I actually head for yosemite on Tuesday. I just thought I would start a disscusion about work so I didn't have to work. grin.gif" border="0

Short term solution: Try to distract yourself, and focus on the money.

Long term: Figure out what will fit your demeanor, and then put the pieces in place to make it happen. Invest money early and often, whether in real estate, stock market, whatever. Create a niche for yourself and exploit the shit out of it.

Alot of folks would have you believe you have to punch a keyboard in a cube to make a decent wage. My uncle paints houses for a living, usually solo, working for himself, and he makes over $70k a year, can take off anytime he wants, and works maybe half as many days a year as most people. Just because it's not white collar doesn't mean it can't be lucrative and/or enjoyable. To me painting is a pain, but so is crunching spreadsheets, doing hydraulic calcs, etc.

Much as I hate to drift this excellent and informative thread, I'd just like to welcome "Country Jake" to our little board. As if his valuable insights about labor standards weren't darn near enough to be named cc.com Nobel Laureate, now he's got us all glued to our seats with witticisms about the "Heavey drug" and getting raped in prison.

To all Country Jakes about to rock, we salute you!

PS. Mark W, you are a damn BRAGGART!! grin.gif" border="0

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: allison ]

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:
Hello Wallstein,

I feel your pain brother. I really do. Get me out of here!!!!

I tried to spray away the pain. That is only temporary. I tried to drink it away. Does not work.

I can only say that my gut is getting bigger and my ass is getting wider.

See you out there next time.

And you sound like a whiner. Repeat after me:"This is a pile of shit. Even though I choose to burrow into this pile of shit I do not like this pile of shit. I will choose more wisely in the future. Until then I will not whine". This never helps me but it helps people who don't like whining.

tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

willstrickland Short term solution: Try to distract yourself, and focus on the money.

What if you don't make any money and you do all of the work. I am new to cubville. Wow, I don't know how people do this for their entire lives. With all week to think of distractions, by the weekend I have thought of something that I probably shouldn't be doing. Hmm.

quote:

Originally posted by AllYouCanEat:

What if you don't make any money and you do all of the work. I am new to cubville. Wow, I don't know how people do this for their entire lives. With all week to think of distractions, by the weekend I have thought of something that I probably shouldn't be doing. Hmm.

like wallstein said i entertain myself in a fantasy world.......it is very easy.......pretend what you are doing is very important and that you love it with all your heart....always have a smile on your face....and always respond with kind words and a helping attitude towards others.......this is a nice place come join me!!!!!!

My plan last summer worked like this.

1.Hated the company- built a "War File" a war file is documenting your employers bad faith dealings- bad customer service-improper accounting, etc, racial profiling, etc,etc

2. Quit working-call in sick a lot- complain of stress- make the company fire you; however, suggest a "negotiated severance" prior to termination

3. Upon termination, discuss your severance and the existence of the war file.

4. Get roommates to pay the mortgage

Hell, last year I took off from March thru August and between unemployment comp, roommate income, and severance package- I was making more than when I worked- It just takes some planning