Skin width question

cracked

Beck said:

what happens when you go to use shaped skins on a ski with different sidecut or dimensions? Do most of you have a separate set of skins for each set of skis in your quiver?

There are a few more compelling reasons to run on straight skins...

You're the only one on XCDs these days, Beck. rolleyes.gif I tried using my straight skins on my shaped skis. Once. The next day I bought fat skins and trimmed them to fit. It sucks to shift your weight slightly only to faceplant because you're now standing on the unskinned edge of your ski. Not cool. thumbs_down.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

Beck said:

what happens when you go to use shaped skins on a ski with different sidecut or dimensions? Do most of you have a separate set of skins for each set of skis in your quiver?

You're the only one on XCDs these days, Beck. rolleyes.gif I tried using my straight skins on my shaped skis. Once. The next day I bought fat skins and trimmed them to fit. It sucks to shift your weight slightly only to faceplant because you're now standing on the unskinned edge of your ski. Not cool. thumbs_down.gif

i love this shit.

only on cc.com will you have someone who appears to have just started skiing (cracked) giving a bunch of crap to someone who has probably been skiing longer (beck) than said person has been alive. rolleyes.gif

jdog said:

cracked said:

Beck said:

i love this shit.

only on cc.com will you have someone who appears to have just started skiing (cracked) giving a bunch of crap to someone who has probably been skiing longer (beck) than said person has been alive. rolleyes.gif

What's your point? yellowsleep.gif Beck didn't even give any 'compelling reasons' against shaped skins other than versatility. yellowsleep.gif

I think this is overanalysis, but I'll just say I didn't say go for super skinny skins. Ones that are as wide as the waist of the ski work just fine. Again, nothing against full-coverage skins, just they are not essential. There is so much technique in skinning. Many experienced skinners can get up unbelievable stuff w/ratty old normal skins.

The worst is when you are on a climbing traverse, and you angle in a little too much and instantly shoot backwards on the ski rail. Yikes!

cracked said:

jdog said:

cracked said:

Beck said:

i love this shit.

What's your point? yellowsleep.gif Beck didn't even give any 'compelling reasons' against shaped skins other than versatility. yellowsleep.gif

My point is you talk like you know everything, yet you admittedly just bought the gear six months ago. Beck asks some legitimate questions and you bash on him. Why don't you get some experience before you start laying waste to everyone elses points. the_finger.gif

jdog said:

cracked said:

jdog said:

cracked said:

Beck said:

i love this shit.

My point is you talk like you know everything, yet you admittedly just bought the gear six months ago. Beck asks some legitimate questions and you bash on him. Why don't you get some experience before you start laying waste to everyone elses points. the_finger.gif

"Legitimate questions"? The only legitimate point he made was that shaped skins prevent using one pair of skins on multiple skis. I'm still waiting for the other 'compelling reasons' for throwing away my shaped skins. As for the experience issue, Marylou has been skiing for as long as Beck has, but she doesn't pretend to be the God of equipment. thumbs_down.gifboxing_smiley.gif In my experience, shaped skins are worth it. wave.gif This is SUCH a stupid argument. rolleyes.gif

Part of the argument lies in the fact that folks have different ideas of what they want to ski. If you are yo yo skiing powder snow in the clearcuts, and for some touring, the skinnier skins will do just fine. However, if you are going to be skiing up and down mountains, you'll frequently be skiing rained frozen treewells below timberline or wind-blown crust above timberline and in these situations you want the skin to cover as close to the edge of the ski as possible or you are going to need ski crampons. When I trimmed my last pair, the instructions said to leave a half inch showing outside the skin and I decided a quarter would be better. I wish I had left even less.

Skinning downhill sucks. I very rarely find the need for it -- even with a full pack and a narrow trail through the woods. I don't think this would be a reason for me to want skinnier skins.

skinning downhill does indeed suck, but there seem to be plenty of times when it happens (for me at least?). Seems to happen frequently for me on mountain circumnavigations (like north sister, hood, or something similar) were there are a bunch of moraines and it seems like a waste of time to stop at the top of each one to strip off the skins. again, I wouldn't buy skins based on this, just something I have noticed over time.

cj001f said:

cracked said:What's your point? yellowsleep.gif Beck didn't even give any 'compelling reasons' against shaped skins other than versatility. yellowsleep.gif

I think his point was your just another cc pocket hardman, who sprays far bigger than he can sack.

yeah that was my point, but said with much less tact.

jdog said:

cj001f said:

cracked said:What's your point? yellowsleep.gif Beck didn't even give any 'compelling reasons' against shaped skins other than versatility. yellowsleep.gif

I think his point was your just another cc pocket hardman, who sprays far bigger than he can sack.

If I don't know anything, then why are there so many people who agree with me? Geek_em8.gif

uhh...cracked, jdog's an "ok" climber, and a wicked skier (his skiing far and away overshadows his climbing)...i don't think you really want to argue tech ski stuff with the guy...it'd be like arguing how to serve w/ Pete Sampras after playing in your first kiddie tourney...

just my $0.02...and its only worth that...

cracked said:

jdog said:

cj001f said:

If I don't know anything, then why are there so many people who agree with me? Geek_em8.gif

i am not saying you don't know anything, and i don't necessarily disagree with you, although i have straight skins on shaped skis and get by just fine. it is what works for each individual.

what i had a problem with was your smart ass comment/diss to beck, on a valid point i must add, based solely on your own admitted experience off your website. some of us don't want nor have the money for 2 or 3 pairs of skins.

***Nazi Moderator***

I was just trying to cut out the cancer that goes by the name of Cracked. the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gif

The rest of you that posted in here are collateral damage. Sorry to MattP, Ian, and Dave S.

Jdog you rule! Don't take any crap from that punk-ass bitch. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

***I now return you to pummeling Cracked***

Edited by AlpineK