Nichols Sues Moore

catbirdseat

Peter_Puget said:

J-B

You left your newspaper at the coffee shop.

J_B's Paper

Oh yea, again I am sorry about the news that the economy grew at a 7.2% rate last quarter. Buck up I am sure a depression is right around the corner. cool.gif

PP bigdrink.gif

what part of the economy the oil industry or the corpation, funded to "rebuild" Iraq seems how both are huge and it may be posible tha the numbers apear better.

but my question is has the unempolment rate droped? has the average worker benifited in any way, oh and is it posible that the economy rose 7% due to the fact that last quarter the avg. person was paying about $2.oo a gallon on gas which is a 50% increase from the normal prices, oh and why did the prices go up in the first place in collilation with the war?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe i should read the whole thread first yellaf.gif

the the point of the matter is that vegie can kiss my ass and i don't buy a word of the pro bush bs. of course things are going to start looking better, next yr is election and its going to take most of the yr "try" and win over the popular vote. the_finger.gif

Edited by wirlwind

trask said:

I think less of you for going to see the movie in the first place. thumbs_down.gif

moore is a fucking disgrace to 'documentaries" everywhere... using unethical tactics and blatent blatent editing skewing. utterly pathetic... he is lambasted in every film making class i have ever been in that covered documertay style. pitty.gif

scott_harpell said:

trask said:

I think less of you for going to see the movie in the first place. thumbs_down.gif

moore is a fucking disgrace to 'documentaries" everywhere... using unethical tactics and blatent blatent editing skewing. utterly pathetic... he is lambasted in every film making class i have ever been in that covered documertay style. pitty.gif

futher prof that he thinks out side the box

pitty.gif that dosn't

Employment is a lagging indicator. Plug Econ101 into Google and learn why. Or maybe PLC will chime in and give everyone a brief once over on the topic.

But I agree that the stats don't mean a whole lot to anyone who has been out of a job for a while and is still looking for one.

Thanks JayB, but I knew that one. If the economy is truly recovering then yes, the jobs will come. I still don't think that the average American is going to believe that the economy is improving until: (not in any specific order...)

1) more people who are looking for reasonably paying work find it

2) state and city governments stop cutting services and begging the national government for funding

3) the federal government stops high levels of deficit spending

4) capital market returns actually benefit the average 401k participant, meaning they start seeing positive returns each quarter on their statements for awhile

5) gas prices at the pump return to "reasonable" levels

6) layoffs and fear of layoffs become rare events

Sorry you're just not going to convince me. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I do understand my economic situation and the situation of most people I care about.

wirlwind said:

scott_harpell said:

trask said:

futher prof that he thinks out side the box

pitty.gif that dosn't

if outside of the box means using unethical means to skew the depictions in his 'documentaries' then yeah he is outside the box. he fabricated many of his scenes and many of the people in it. it was a political drama withteh facade of a documentary. look up your facts before you spout hommes... i have read his actual story boards and seen unedited sections of his 'films' and it is pathetic and unremarkable until he splices in bullshit post. rolleyes.gif

ehmmic said:

Thanks JayB, but I knew that one. If the economy is truly recovering then yes, the jobs will come. I still don't think that the average American is going to believe that the economy is improving until: (not in any specific order...)

1) more people who are looking for reasonably paying work find it

2) state and city governments stop cutting services and begging the national government for funding

3) the federal government stops high levels of deficit spending

4) capital market returns actually benefit the average 401k participant, meaning they start seeing positive returns each quarter on their statements for awhile

5) gas prices at the pump return to "reasonable" levels

6) layoffs and fear of layoffs become rare events

Sorry you're just not going to convince me. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I do understand my economic situation and the situation of most people I care about.

Agreed on most of those things needing to happen before folks start to feel more positive about the direction of the economy.

actually s&p and nasdaq are more useful indices (they both went down slightly)

oh really, j_b? Please enlighten us further on this subject. Are you a Harvard-case man, or a Chicago-theorist? rolleyes.gif

Don't take it personally when I say that I believe that your understanding of financial markets is probably close to nil.

"My purpose is not to denigrate the impressive estimated 7.2 percent growth rate for the third quarter of 2003. It is, rather, to stress the obvious: we've had our hopes dashed in the past, and it remains to be seen whether this is just another one-hit wonder."

Krugman Today

It's a lot of work to always look on the dark side of life.

PP bigdrink.gif

When the Leading Index takes a sharp downturn, the Federal Reserve Board doesn't rush to lower interest rates. They don't call a recession a recession until there have been three or four quarters of poor numbers. By the same token, we should not call this a recovery until we have seen three quarters of positive growth.

catbirdseat said:

When the Leading Index takes a sharp downturn, the Federal Reserve Board doesn't rush to lower interest rates. They don't call a recession a recession until there have been three or four quarters of poor numbers. By the same token, we should not call this a recovery until we have seen three quarters of positive growth.

We have now seen 8 quarters of positive growth in the GDP, per data from the commerce department. So does that mean we are in a recovery? or do we have to wait until everyone is happy to call it a recovery?

scott_harpell said:

if outside of the box means using unethical means to skew the depictions in his 'documentaries' then yeah he is outside the box. he fabricated many of his scenes and many of the people in it. it was a political drama withteh facade of a documentary. look up your facts before you spout hommes... i have read his actual story boards and seen unedited sections of his 'films' and it is pathetic and unremarkable until he splices in bullshit post. rolleyes.gif

by opposition to what? a reporter (screened by the military) standing behind an m1, telling us about the progress and circumstances of the iraq war that he/she cannot see for fear of having his head blown off and after he spent days/weeks sharing food, shelter and anxieties with us troops? how is what m.moore does any different than another documentary film maker/photographer in the face of the subjects he is reporting on?

the discourse that documentaries or reporting are objective while moore's work isn't, is deceitful. moore does not lie about facts and that's all that matters to this discussion. he only chooses to present facts in the way that fits his story line like everybody else in the business. call him biased if you will but show me who isn't. whether it is the 'truth' for you, depends on your own sensibilities and everyone should be aware of that.

now if you have proof that m.moore lies about facts, show us the goods.

he only chooses to present facts in the way that fits his story line like everybody else in the business. call him biased if you will but show me who isn't.

if he were making a feature film, i wouldn't care, but the 'doc' is masqueraded as a 'doc'. he was shunned by everyone i have ever met in the documentary film circle. using actors and having it be called a documentary is not just biased, it is deceitfull.

scott_harpell said:

most doc makers dont use actors.

if he were making a feature film, i wouldn't care, but the 'doc' is masqueraded as a 'doc'. he was shunned by everyone i have ever met in the documentary film circle. using actors and having it be called a documentary is not just biased, it is deceitfull.

mt proff has uneditied film that didn't make it into the movie... did you ever get a kinda of surreal feeling when hommies were in wall-mart headquarters? there is a good reason for that. rolleyes.gif

i said proof, like in evidence, not innuendos or hearsay

Scott, I don't dispute that Moore may be unethical. However, his movies are quite obviously a blend of documentary and drama and I don't think he is really trying to pass them off as otherwise. Now the Jessica Lynch story - that is pure fiction presented as truth.

the discourse that documentaries or reporting are objective while moore's work isn't, is deceitful.

j_b, I must say that usually you are this over-the-top wrong about stuff. All you have to do is listen to Moore himself talk about his work. The guy is an unethical bullshit.