Charlie Fowler - Patagonia Climbs - Second Ascent

Rodchester

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
I gotta admit for a few years there I had Charlie Fowler and Charlie Porter confused in my mind. Now I have it straight. Porter is the one that's named after a beer!

Hey Dru, here's a way to keep them straight:

Porter was in on the first ascent of: Zodiac, The Shield, Mescalito, Tangerine Trip, Grape Race, Horse Chute, and Excaliber with a couple of those being solos. Fowler was in on the FA of....oh I don't seem to remember Fowler in on any El Cap FAs. tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by W:
I'm not going to Second Bounce, that bastion of overcommercialized America! Fowler must be some kind of sell-out if he's giving a slide show there!
rolleyes.gif" border="0

You've got to be kidding me? Go and meet the guy W, first his integrity and grit will blow you away. His accompishments, style, ethics are solid & second to none. So what he's getting a little from Christine, a man's gotta live.

"Fowler and Boskoff are dating, last I heard. Seriously"

I guess that is how you would put it. They have been climbing together and hanging out for sometime now.

Ropegun, I think W was kidding. Just a little left over ribbing from other posts and aimed at me. Right W?

But you are right ropegun, Charlie's accomplishments, style, ethics are solid & second to none. Charlie really is a super nice guy and very humble. Pretty damn good photographer too.

I intend to be there, and hope to meet a few cc.comers there. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Ropegun2002:

You've got to be kidding me? Go and meet the guy W, first his integrity and grit will blow you away. His accompishments, style, ethics are solid & second to none. So what he's getting a little from Christine, a man's gotta live.

I am kidding you, Ropegun. Go look up "sarcasm" in the dictionary. Worse yet, if you want to rehash a forgettable thread, go look up the Boskoff/TNF slide show thread to get the source of my joke.

Fowler is someone for whom I have great respect, thank you. Anyone who can onsite solo the DNB (1977) is beyond worthy. Further, his humility is another reason to like him.

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:[QBRopegun, I think W was kidding. Just a little left over ribbing from other posts and aimed at me. Right W?[/QB]

Aimed at you yes, but the arrows were tipped with nerf arrowheads. smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by W:

I am kidding you, Ropegun. Go look up "sarcasm" in the dictionary. Worse yet, if you want to rehash a forgettable thread, go look up the Boskoff/TNF slide show thread to get the source of my joke.

Fowler is someone for whom I have great respect, thank you. Anyone who can onsite solo the DNB (1977) is beyond worthy. Further, his humility is another reason to like him.

Did you know that "gullible" is misspelled in the dictionary? wink.gif" border="0

second ascent, the integral route (now the casual route after charlie's post climb analysis), the diamond, solo; second ascent perilous journey; the diving board solo in tennis shoes; multiple fa's, rock, alpine, peaks worldwide. humble guy, solid climber, good photos.

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Hey Dru, here's a way to keep them straight:

Porter was in on the first ascent of: Zodiac, The Shield, Mescalito, Tangerine Trip, Grape Race, Horse Chute, and Excaliber with a couple of those being solos. Fowler was in on the FA of....oh I don't seem to remember Fowler in on any El Cap FAs.
tongue.gif" border="0

Porter put up the Zodiak solo. Free climbing the nipple pitch in boots with a big old loop of slack between him and the anchors. Also FA of Polish (polar) Circus. Charlie Fowler is also bas ass. But the only FA I've done that he did was Chinese Eyes in Arches.

Yup, Porter also put up New Dawn solo in '72. No doubt Fowler is a badass too, wasn't he on the FA of Infinite Spur with Kennedy back in '77?

Here's a "less known" hardman for ya: Charles Cole. Founder of Five-Ten, he put up Jolly Rodger, and the Real Nose with Steve Grossman and soloed the FAs of Space and False Shield. Those were A5, A4, A4+, and A4 when they went up respectively.

Well so much for that, but I figure I'm doing pretty good just getting one of the protagonists , the year, and the route name right. Alpine climbing isn't exactly the most popular pursuit growing up in Jawja ya know?!

But now sitting on the porch of the trailer, next to the broken washing machine, drinking Bud in a can with a shotgun across your lap and watching the Talladega 500 on the black and white...that's a more common pursuit.

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Here's a "less known" hardman for ya: Charles Cole. Founder of Five-Ten, he put up Jolly Rodger, and the Real Nose with Steve Grossman and soloed the FAs of Space and False Shield. Those were A5, A4, A4+, and A4 when they went up respectively.

Don't forget Queen of Spades on Half Dome- out of 20 pitches, something like 16 or 17 were A4, the last pitch through the visor being A4+. I think that also was solo. Only just got repeated recently I hear.

Just an FYI:

Charlie Fowler will be giving a slideshow presentation at Second Bounce in Ballard this Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. March 20, 2002 on climbing in Patagonia, focusing on climbs of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre.

Charlie is an accomplished climber that has been putting up first ascents and doing hard routes on snow, ice, and rock all over the world for many years (Probably more than he would like to admit). Charlie is from the first wave of climbers that really adhered to the clean climbing prinicipals.

All are welcome.

• 4 years later...