Small alpine rack

dryad

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A small alpine rack for me usually consists of six or eight small stoppers and maybe a few tcu's or aliens, maxing out at about one inch or so. On a granite climb, I might add a red camelot and leave behind some of the tiny stuff. In the winter, I'd bring a couple of pins. I sometimes carry three ice screws for some schrund crossing or something, but I'm assuming you are talking about a predominantly rock rack in your initial inquiry. I don't find much use for pickets, though every time I say this I get four or five responsive posts arguing for how threat they are. For slings, I carry shoulder length ones and maybe a double-shoulder-length one for throwing around a large block or tree.

catbirdseat said:

A pertinant thread: What Dru Says.

See here too.

Small rack for a route that you are repeating as opposed to a FA would be 4 hexes 6 nuts and 3-4 tricams plus 6 to 8 shoulder-length slings with 2 biners per sling. thumbs_up.gif Cams are too heavy to take on a "small" rack. if the climb is hard enough you can't be bothered to spend the extra time finding a good hex placement, then don't take a small rack. My dos centavos.

Dru makes a good point about the hex's being just as solid as a cam (or more so in some respects) but I'm not sure about the weight assertion -- didn't somebody look it up and show that cams are as light as hex nuts in middle to large sizes? Anyway, I find that I am often more confident of a cam placement when I shove it into some dirt-filled crack that I have just excavated behind what may be an expanding flake. Whether I am right to place any confidence in what is really a piece of crap, well one could argue that point. And I don't remember what was the outcome when the technogeeks debated whether a nut or a camp put more outward force on that loose flake.

mattp said:

I'm not sure about the weight assertion -- didn't somebody look it up and show that cams are as light as hex nuts in middle to large sizes?

stop it. please. if you dont know then dont write anything.

fyi: cams are not as light as hexes for the same size range. however the difference in mass is only one to two ounces. and in terms of volume?

the weight of pitons is not bad but if you are doing a route without a snow/ice approach then its the weight of the hammer that makes the diff. hamnmering with a rock is sooooo suck.

i think TCU are lighter than hexes but i only use hexes for the #1 camalot and up sizes where weight saving is notable.

also you can hang the hexes around your neck on a sling to clang and impress chicks on the trail, like FB does. wink.gif

mattp said:

A small alpine rack for me usually consists of six or eight small stoppers and maybe a few tcu's or aliens, maxing out at about one inch or so. On a granite climb, I might add a red camelot and leave behind some of the tiny stuff. In the winter, I'd bring a couple of pins. I sometimes carry three ice screws for some schrund crossing or something, but I'm assuming you are talking about a predominantly rock rack in your initial inquiry. I don't find much use for pickets, though every time I say this I get four or five responsive posts arguing for how threat they are. For slings, I carry shoulder length ones and maybe a double-shoulder-length one for throwing around a large block or tree.

This is what I use but I always include a red and a gold camelot. Dru's hexes are good too but probably not as familiar to the younger generation of climbers. As a side note, my drilled hexes are noticably lighter than similar size cams. I still prefer the cams for their versitile size range and flare protection.

Dru said:

i think TCU are lighter than hexes but i only use hexes for the #1 camalot and up sizes where weight saving is notable.

According to the respective proprietor websites, #11 hex is 6 grams lighter than a #4 Friend. Not that I'm saying a #11 hex or a #4 Friend belong on a Small alpine rack...

Bug said:

...my drilled hexes are noticably lighter than similar size cams. I still prefer the cams for their versitile size range and flare protection.

Are these custom drilled or were they commercially available at one time? If custom, how does one know whether strength is compromised? I do know that many structures can have material removed with almost no compromise on strength. One example is aluminum booms on sailboats. An aerospace engineer friend cut out panels from the side of the boom on his San Juan 30 and claimed it was actually stronger. I had to take his word for it.

Al_Pine said:

According to the respective proprietor websites, #11 hex is 6 grams lighter than a #4 Friend. Not that I'm saying a #11 hex or a #4 Friend belong on a Small alpine rack...

#11 hex huh? you back on horse again cuz you acting all high and shit. who makes a #11 hex?

Dryad

Looks like there's a lot of variation in what one means by 'small alpine rack'. Sometimes you're given additional information in a route description such as rack to 2 inches. It's been in my limited experience that you have to evaluate what you know about the route (beta) to determine gear needs. It helps if you provide the name of a specific climb if you want gear beta.