I hate the smell of...

EWolfe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was crewing on a Catalina 27 sailboat in the Newport Beach to Ensenada Yacht race back in the '80s. We were ghosting into Bahia de Todos Santos on a light shorebreeze. You could smell the dry grass smell of the hills. It was kind of nice after the nearly odorless seabreeze of the previous day.

As we approached the northern outskirts of Ensenada a most foul stench assailed our sea-sensitized nostrils. It had to be a pig farm or a rendering plant. The smell was like a combination of urine-fermented manure and decomposing entrails. You don't forget a smell like that.

Despite the smell, we arrived in harbor and found a nifty spot to anchor amongst 40 and 50 ft yachts. WTF? We thought we were in the wrong harbor. Where were out competitors? As we were putting the sails away, two Catalina 38's motored in and anchored. They were three classes faster than us and owed us something like two hours on handicap. We were pretty happy about that. Turns out we were first in our class of 35 boats.

durian

liquid manure being spread on a field

during the 80's there was a fad amongst middle aged ladies for some hand cream that smelled worse than anything i had ever smelt. i puked once playing soccer cause some kids mom had it on and it was wafting across the field.

i used to go binning for cans in high school to make $$$ and the smell of 2 wk old coffee grounds in a dumpster with bacon grease on em is pretty rude too! shocked.gif