I know what you did last summer.

wayne

rbw1966 said:

Dru's full of shit. In addition to the example that Off-White cited, there is the more recent example of the guy posting his TR of Hood wherein he stated he rode a snow cat up and he got all kids of flamage for taking the ride--justifiable or not, its these kinds of attacks that shy people away.

Another example: who could ever forget the torrent of flames over Strickland's "on-site" of Leuthold Couloir? Unfortunate choice of language for sure--but the flames were relentless (and I was a guilty party as well).

I guess I missed the sno-cat one. The other two Strickland examples seem to fall within what I defined as hype. Although if one examines the original thread one can see that as many responses if not more were critical of polishbob as of will.

But taken all together what percent of posted TR's ignite flaming? One? Two? The overwhelming majority are welcomed with thumbs_up.gif and bigdrink.gif

Here's an opinion. Most of those who aren't posting TRs are not doing it for fear of flamage. That is just an excuse. They are not posting because of 1)modesty, or 2) they just can't write. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif Maybe some lurkers will prove me wrong thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted TRs of some of my grander trips this year and received only positive feedback.

There's definitely a lot of bullshit negativity on this site but how you're treated definitely depends on your attitude. Maybe I've just played it safe and never created enemies to flame me.

Wayne got flamed for the underlying preteniousness (sp?) of his posts. Sorry dude, I think you're a nice guy and all but thats the truth.

Well written, interesting trip reports about interesting places done in good style seem to hold up just fine around here. (Of course there are always exceptions....)

I don't think it is valid to say "sorry Wayne, but that's the truth." Even if you think his underlying tone WAS pretentious, his route reports are interesting and I'd hate to see him or somebody like him stop posting to the board (though I'd have to say that he seems to be able to tolerate quite a bit of abuse so this may not be a real concern in Wayne's case).

When it comes to "well written, interesting trip reports about interesting places done in good style" beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one person's interesting report is another persons snooze-fest or cheast-beat. Not only that, but I don't think someone should have to clear this bar in order to be able to post in the route reports forums without being criticized for it. Also, as Darin notes, even some that reports that might generally be held in this regard draw fire for a variety of reasons -- often related to personal issues that really don't matter to anybody but the immediate involved parties.

However, the incidence of flameage in the route resport forum is somewhat of a diversionary topic thrown out by Dru. I stated that I thought it was sad to see folks dog-pile on Wayne once again and I noted that I spoke to people at both ropeup events who said they were unwilling to post to this site because of what they perceive to be a generally high level of acrimony around here.

One may argue that Wayne or Allison or Scott or Dan Larson get what they deserve, but I really don't think so. Yes, each one of these people has drawn attention by somehow stepping outside the limits of what we may think is an admirable way to present themselves, but I don't think that merits the kind of flame that these people have received and I would argue that it shows a distinct lack of courage and creativity for someone to jump onto an ongoing bandwagon and bash them just because everyone else is -- even though I will admit that I sometimes find myself laughing out loud at the latest retort or photoshop image that is making fun of somebody for the 100th time.

One might also argue that thin-skinned people don't belong on this site or that we shouldn't try to protect them. I don't think it is honest to argue that such people don't exist, however.

Lastly, I'd note that there are people around here, myself among them, who just don't like to see all that garbage. In my view, copious amounts of insulting rhetoric just clutter up the board and are kind of like litter thrown about the base of a crag.

cracked said:

I, for one, am curious as to what routes Wayne climbed. Consider it inspiration for people who suck, like me. So let's give up the bashing, and for God's sake, Wayne, post your chestbeat.

Agreed we're up to page 4 now. Don't let people start calling you a welcher too! wink.gif

(actually he's probably working on it, just takes him a while to put all that info into one of those goofy flowchart diagrams yellaf.gif)

Why should anyone be forced to tolerate yet another gay ass TR about how so-and-so climbed the Tooth? It's the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll type out this boring ass TR about some mung heap that's been climbed a thousand times, and post it on the Internet for the whole world to see." mentality that deserves to be squashed. You should be able to feel good about your accomplishments without having to drag them in front of the whole world.

I don't know about everyone else, but I enjoy reading what people have done, unless they chestbeat, don't know how to write, etc. Very few trip reports rub me the wrong way. I really love reading TRs; I've got many bookmarked personal climbing pages that I always enjoy reading.

Necronomicon said:

Why should anyone be forced to tolerate yet another gay ass TR about how so-and-so climbed the Tooth? It's the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll type out this boring ass TR about some mung heap that's been climbed a thousand times, and post it on the Internet for the whole world to see." mentality that deserves to be squashed. You should be able to feel good about your accomplishments without having to drag them in front of the whole world.

necro - These 'gay" things eventualy start to grate on me. I think you should use another word.

PP bigdrink.gif

who always is feeling gay!

Peter_Puget said:

Necronomicon said:

necro - These 'gay" things eventualy start to grate on me. I think you should use another word.

PP bigdrink.gif

we can call YOUR silly TR's "straight" or "het" or "breeder" if you would find that more offensive fruit.gifboxing_smiley.gifrolleyes.gif

Peter_Puget said:

Necronomicon said:

PP bigdrink.gif

Thanks. Instead of "gay ass", I'll use "faggot ass". My bad.

Necronomicon said:

Why should anyone be forced to tolerate yet another gay ass TR about how so-and-so climbed the Tooth?

What's makes you wanna be the fucking trip report nazi? You seem to enjoy your freedom to create wonderfully funny abrasive quips, why rain on someone else's parade? Do gay-ass TR's bring out the traffic cop in you?

Necronomicon said:

It's the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll type out this boring ass TR about some mung heap that's been climbed a thousand times, and post it on the Internet for the whole world to see." mentality that deserves to be squashed.

Fuckin a' sure as hell beats the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll dogpile some hapless newbie climber/writer." That's the shit that oughta be quashed.

please indicate one newbie that got flamed. none of the flame examples were newbies unless you count sno-cat guy and it hasn't been proved that wasn't someones trolling avatar anyway.

does Muir on saturday count as flaming a newbie? smirk.gif DAN Lar'TERYX SUX!!!!!!!

Al_Pine said:

Necronomicon said:

Why should anyone be forced to tolerate yet another gay ass TR about how so-and-so climbed the Tooth?

What's makes you wanna be the fucking trip report nazi? You seem to enjoy your freedom to create wonderfully funny abrasive quips, why rain on someone else's parade? Do gay-ass TR's bring out the traffic cop in you?

Necronomicon said:

It's the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll type out this boring ass TR about some mung heap that's been climbed a thousand times, and post it on the Internet for the whole world to see." mentality that deserves to be squashed.

Fuckin a' sure as hell beats the "I want to feel good about myself so I'll dogpile some hapless newbie climber/writer." That's the shit that oughta be quashed.

Hey. Spray Nazi. I don't rip on anyone's TRs. It's either bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif, or I keep my mouth shut about the content. Please find a post of mine where ripped on anyone over the route they did, and their TR.

On the other hand, when people get al "I'm the gnarliest bad-ass." or "I know what I'm talking about, dipshit." or even "Look at how big my genitalia are", I'm going to call bullshit and take the piss out of them.

Necronomicon said:

Hey. Spray Nazi. I don't rip on anyone's TRs. It's either bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif, or I keep my mouth shut about the content. Please find a post of mine where ripped on anyone over the route they did, and their TR.

You just ripped anyone who ever did or ever wanted to write a trip report about The Tooth. Thus, you just ripped me cry.gif

On the other hand, when people get al "I'm the gnarliest bad-ass." or "I know what I'm talking about, dipshit." or even "Look at how big my genitalia are", I'm going to call bullshit and take the piss out of them.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure on the whole it discourages people from posting trip reports. A lot of times it's pretty funny, and a lot of times it's just too irresistible. Carry on. bigdrink.gif

I'm confused though, you just said you never rip TR's. Are you talking about TR's in the second quote?

The perfect TR:

I did this route.

I found these conditions.

I did it in this time.

Here's some beta you might find useful.

Here's a pic or two.

I'm humble about the whole experience.

Not:

I did this route, and you didn't.

My cock is so big, I used it to sling horns on the descent.

Here's a pic of me grabbing my nutsack, with my finger in the air, and pointing at myself, screaming "I'M NUMBER ONE! I'M NUMBER ONE!" over and over again like a drunken frat boy.

I'm not giving you any beta.

Ask me how cool I am.

I think a trip report about the Tooth is probably something that may actually be more valuable than one about some gnarly test piece like your latest new winter climb of the North Norwegian Buttress. Although I may be more likely to spend time reading the latter, I would do so only for entertainment purposes since I can't climb any gnarly test piece and those who can climb said gnarly test piece don't need to read a trip report for beta. On the other hand, the guy who may be making the Tooth as their first peak climb is the guy who actually is going to research their climb on this site.

Trip reports serve a variety of purposes beyond their literary value and this site is intended to serve climbers of all ability levels, whether they are good writers or bad.