Don't go to Big 4.

cracked

Did some ice cragging up there yesterday. Rained all day. The main (right) area that provided good climbing last year is a small hunk of snow. No caves, no walls. The left chunk is a bit better, at the top there are some moat walls/seracs that were about 60 feet high, but they are slabby, only the last ten feet make you pull on your tools. I won't go there again this year. I guess the combination of the warm winter and low elevation of the area kept the snow melting all year. frown.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PONCHO&LEFTY said:

What do you mean by no caves? This was taken a 10 days ago. Did it melt? Or are the caves usually diferent? Just wondering-not being smart.

Yes, that's where we were climbing, at the very top, the large serac walls.

Usually there are 70+ foot high caves where the other hunk of snow is. These provide vertical to slightly overhanging walls that are perfect to get pumped on. This year they don't exist. frown.gif

I think the combo of a warm year and the low elevation drastically melted the ice. We had near normal precipitation, but I guess it was simply too warm. Hopefully we'll have a cold and wet winter this year to replenish the caves. They were really cool last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ken4ord said:

So how big is that hunk of snow? I have never been up there and there is nothing to give the picture perspective.

if you said this earlier:

ken4ord said:

Dude I'd like to scrape up something, but have the faintest as to where to find some ice now, and I am not up for a snow hike, I want the real thing.

then big 4 aint gonna do it for you.