Online poll on climbing ropes

RokStr

Dear climbers!

At the Center for Experimental Mechanincs (CEM) we are trying to improve the properties of climbing ropes. To do so we first have to determine which are the worst properties of existing ropes on the market.

We have therefore prepared an online poll.

We kindly ask that only people who climb and are acquainted with climbing techniques answer the following questions.

You can find the poll at:

http://www.ef.uni-lj.si/spik/anketaeng.asp

Thank you for your cooperation!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

The last question was interesting. Which rope is better. The two were the same, except that the second had a lower impact force. Easy choice.

I'm not trying to start anything, BUT...

lower impact force does not always make the better rope. Both were listed as 10.5, 1 had a lower impact force than the other. You assumed all other factors were even. Don't buy ropes based on impact force alone. Everyone knows red ropes perform better.

chris

If I recall correctly, the comparison stated they had the same elongation, so more stretch as a result of a lower impact force is not an issue. I think the intent was to see if climbers understood that a smaller number is better when talking about forces. There is an advertising phenomenon where consumers will buy something because there are higher numbers on the package, weather they mean anything or not.

boatskiclimbsail said:

If I recall correctly, the comparison stated they had the same elongation, so more stretch as a result of a lower impact force is not an issue. I think the intent was to see if climbers understood that a smaller number is better when talking about forces. There is an advertising phenomenon where consumers will buy something because there are higher numbers on the package, weather they mean anything or not.

It's interesting you mention that - the root directory of the survey leads to the business school. I'd be interested to see if there was a regional analysis done.

Elongation is not the same thing as the rope stretch resulting from a fall. Elongation is a measure of the low-load stretch in the rope; it is a measure of how stretchy the rope is when you are jugging or rapelling. A rope with a lower impact force will stretch more durring the high impact of a fall than a rope with a high impact force. cantfocus.gif