Mountaineers' Field Trips

pope

I don't know about you, but to take a massive class like that out and monopolize valuable rock space is criminal. If they are working on very basic principals, they should do them indoors at at gym. If they are working on actual rock technique then they should be doing it in smaller classes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you are doing like you should and taking a beginner climber out for some 1-on-1 experience it shouldnt bother you to find massive groups have stolen all the easier routes, that you were hoping to get beginner to climb? confused.gif" border="0

I'm with Dru... I've had this experience of trying to take someone out to learn and running into swarms. A bummer, cause if you want to turn someone on to climbing it's hard to do when you spend half the day hauling them around trying to find a route that's open.

Not saying that mtneers have no right to be out there, but there are problems with these large groups dominating areas.

quote:

Originally posted by mr. happy:

pope,

is your sinus infection better?

a concerned mr. happy

Yes, it is. Thanks for caring, Mr. Merry Sunshine. Now if I could just shake the thing I caught back in college!

quote:

Originally posted by OfficeSpace:

Sorry for making a suggestion. I guess you seem to know it all. Maybe I should suggest you stop being such a know it all. If you need a one hour pump then go pump your woman
wink.gif" border="0

There are two kind of advice: that which is solicited and that which is not. One of these types is always welcome. You figure out which.

BTW, I think you're a little punk. You may joke about your buddy's girlfriend like that, but I'm a married man, and you're talking about my wife. I don't even know you, but I know you better than I wish I did.

It pains me to see so much Mountaineer bashing even though most of it is in jest.

Anyway, I was at Spire Rock on Sunday as a Basic student. I finished the requirements for the field trip in roughly half the time and spent the rest of the time being a belay slave and taking an occasional route up the rock. Here is what I remember from early afternoon:

There were a ton of little kids around the friction slabs. There was a little kid who ran under the Prusik tower as we were taking it apart; luckily wewere able to haul him away before metal pipescame crashing down. There was a father-son duodoing a roof route on the SW corner. Later onthey moved onto the southern stem/chimney route.We had a rope on the crack route on the north face,but we weren't using it much -- the easier routeswere on the south. Boulderers were tearing traverses all over the rock -- there were a fair amount of downtime between pitches -- beginners are slow at tying in.

Anyway, I've been warned by several Mountaineers to beware for some instructors who are anal and obnoxiously power-trippy. I have yet to find any, and I have yet to meet a Mountaineerwho has pissed me off. Mayabe I'm just lucky or I'm laid back enough. I know in the past on here I've read about other climbers who have encountered Mounties who were asses. One thing you can certainly do is call the Mountaineers and complain about their behavior. A member of the Mountaineers should not be acting like an ass, and he may need a little reminder of his behavior.

Office Space say:

"If you need a one hour pump then go pump your woman."

Then pope say:

"You may joke about your buddy's girlfriend like that, but I'm a married man, and you're talking about my wife."

Then Dwayner now say: Office Space: that's so way out of line! Better get off the computer now, the school bus is waiting. Gee whiz!

Crackfiendcarla say:"I doubt you would consider the rock space valuable. The basic classes only climb the really easy stuff." Well I certainly consider it valuable and so do my novice buddies from out of town!Face it: the Mountaineers bring huge HERDS of people into the mountains. When everybody posts their various schedules from all of the different clubs, it will be apparent, if it isn't already, that there is a good chance that on any given weekend, a big club group is going to be somewhere choice, especially on the easier stuff which all of us still enjoy. And wait until you see their schedule of climbs for each club chapter which are not specifically for group instruction!!! The Tooth...limit of ten people signing up, etc. OY X 3!!!

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Dwayner ]

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:
"There was a little kid who ran under the Prusik tower as we were taking it apart; luckily wewere able to haul him away before metal pipescame crashing down." Pope- don't you know to stay out from under the prusik tower? Sheeez!
[Moon][Moon][Moon]

Oh, now Mistuh Charlie, Mistuh....YOU IZ BAD, Mistuh Charlie.

Gary,

I agree with you, I find it tedious at times even though I myself will sometimes indulge in a bit of mountaineer bashing. Large groups of beginners (or even one or two gumbies) are always going to attract ridicule in just about any arena or activity, and the Mountaineers make an institution out of it so they are going to draw even more ridicule than might the unaffiliated gumby. Some of the criticism may at times be deserved, but the real issue is that it is just too tempting, kind of like shooting fish in a barrel AND being able to feel smug about it. Unfortunately, perhaps, you are just going to have to get used to it.

Matt

Yo, Chucky!Did you break it off with your white-trash, single-mother girlfriend? Are you going to send her the hundred bucks so she can finish her GED and get a 19th tatoo on her proletarian ass? You should probably keep that thing....I know a guy, who hangs out at the UW rock, who keeps a 12-pack of coldies in a "kid caboose" at all times! He can pretend to be cooing the baby when in actuality, he's sluggin' down his 8th Schmidt-pop. And when the babes come over to goo-goo-gah-gah over the infant, they're not disappointed when he trades a beer for their phone numbers!

Oh, you mean that one? Now, Office Space, if you want to joke about my woman...I mean, if you want to be funny as oppposed to offensive per se, this is how you might go about it.

Office Space say:"If you need a one hour pump then go pump your woman."[\B]

OK maybe that's a bit offensive. First your stereotyping Pope into the purely heterosexual side which probably offends him a bit. Second, exposing his inadequacies by even joking that he could possibly be pumping for anywhere close to an hour is really hitting below the belt. Lighten up Office Space!

Brother Chuck! I ain't trying to be on a high-horse. I just think wife-trashin', no matter whose it is, should be off-limits, unless you choose to comment on your own spousal unit. At least that's where this Dwayner draws the line. Girlfriends?..they tend to come and go with a certain lack of committment and are thus fair game in my opinion. Mothers? I don't have my mind made up on that one...

aloha, Dwayner

The Boeing Alpine Society basic class schedule:March 16/17 St Edwards ParkMarch 23/24 Mt ErieApril 6/7 Steven's PassApril 13/14 Snoqualmie/Commonwealth BasinApril 20/21 & 27/28 Devil's PeakMay 4/5 LeavenworthMay 11/12 TatooshMay 18/19 Nisqually GlacierJune 1/2 & 8/9 Mt Baker

70 students this year, so quite a crowd. Quit picking on the classes. We've all got to learn somehow.

quote:

Originally posted by Crackfiendcarla:
The Boeing Alpine Society basic class schedule:March 16/17 St Edwards ParkMarch 23/24 Mt ErieApril 6/7 Steven's PassApril 13/14 Snoqualmie/Commonwealth BasinApril 20/21 & 27/28 Devil's PeakMay 4/5 LeavenworthMay 11/12 TatooshMay 18/19 Nisqually GlacierJune 1/2 & 8/9 Mt Baker

70 students this year, so quite a crowd. Quit picking on the classes. We've all got to learn somehow.

how can you learn in a swarm environment? you must have a really high wait to climb ratio.