Mountaineers' Field Trips

pope

Even when time is tight and you've got a sinus infection, you've got to get out of the house on a day like this. I drove out to Spanaway's SPIRE Rock, a practice facility similar to Camp Long, and to my dismay, the place was just teeming with about 60 or 70 Basic Course students. They were nice enough folks, and they didn't even chew me out when I tried to sneak around them. But they had a rope stretched out every four feet. We had a polite conversation, and I said some encouraging words (I had participated in such a circus in 1985). But it was too much effort to get any kind of pump going, and so I departed, all the while feeling stupid since they had probably published the date of this field trip on their site.

When I got home, I noticed that the Tacoma group had no such field trip scheduled until weeks later. The Seattle group posted a field trip schedule that included "rock practice" on March 2nd and 3rd (also 9th and 10th), but they did not specify a location.

Next time I see them out there, I'm not going to try to sneak into the show; it's too big a hassle, and I don't want to cause any problems. On the other hand, I think the Mountaineers should publish these events on cascadeclimbers.com (and maybe other sites) so that I can avoid driving 30 minutes only to be disappointed.

If you were a student out there today, you guys looked like you were having fun! Good luck, and happy climbs.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help out with the Everett Branch.

Basic ClassUsually 50 + People

March 9 - Mt Si 6am-noonMarch 23 - Forest Park in EverettApril 6 - Camp Long (Afternoon)April 20-21 Leavenworth *May 4-5 Stevens PassMay 18-19 Mt Baker

Intermediate ClassUsually only 15 peopleMarch 23 PeshastanMarch 24 LeavenworthApril 13-14 Royal Columns

I can probably tell you the Leavenworth crags they will be on in a couple of weeks.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: chris_w ]

What I assume to be the case (as it used to be the case): due to Sherman Rock at Camp Long falling apart, the Basic Rock I field trip was moved down to Sprinker in Spanaway [where you were]. I presume this will continue until Sherman Rock is replaced.

So, you also need to check with Seattle Mountainerds' schedule for their intended Spire Rock usage.

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:
What I assume to be the case (as it used to be the case): due to Sherman Rock at Camp Long falling apart, the Basic Rock I field trip was moved down to Sprinker in Spanaway [where you were]. I presume this will continue until Sherman Rock is replaced.

So, you also need to check with Seattle Mountainerds' schedule for their intended Spire Rock usage.

Truth is, I didn't check any schedules. I just went down there, lured by the sun. Seattle's schedule didn't list SPIRE Rock for March 2nd, so it wouldn't have helped to check their site.

The response to this post has been constructive in my opinion. Maybe this information will help avoid conflicts with other climbers, and with other instructional groups. It would be cool to see this info posted here annually. Many thanks.

I tihnk having a section called 'Proposed Mob Scenes' makes great sense. I don't thing the nice (nerdy) folks over at the Mountaineers or any other club would have a problem with it either. In fact I think it might encourage them to post it there, and then we'd know to look there before heading out to Leavenworth, or Mt. Daniel, or any number of other good places that are sometimes filled with a bunch of people who have no idea what they are doing.

The next time I plan to go to Leavenworth I will add to the Calendar a trip of 100 people from the Bumbly Outdoors Clup of Gaperville going there so everyone looks on the calendar, sees it is going to be busy, and stays away. wink.gif" border="0

Some of you guys act like the Mountaineers have some sort of priority over climbing areas. Baloney! If you add up all of the weekends the various Mountaineers groups are in some of the prime areas for taking beginners, it's a whole lot of days. I teach small classes a few times a year and these guys are almost always there. Go climb somewhere else, you say? Why should I? As I said, they go to some of areas that are perfect for beginners in any number of different ways. Do what I do. If you feel like climbing in Leavenworth or the Tooth or wherever, just beat the Mountaineers to the crags. Get up an hour earlier and start climbing. They show up, they act as if we're climbing on their crag, and then they must wait until we're done. We're very polite unless they jump in our face and then we leave when we're done. The mad rush to make up for lost time usually follows. I've seen rented school buses pull up in Icicle Canyon from which a division of Mountaineers emerge.

I used to put up with their nonsense until one Saturday morning I showed up at a lovely little area to find a couple of dozen Mountaineers swarming over it. I asked when they would be finished and was told that they were using that crag for the entire weekend. No sir! As things tranpsired, they only used it for a portion of the next day...the afternoon.

By the way, I saw the giant group at Spire Rock this weekend: a whole lot of new Mountaineers in the making. And one of the "instructors" (a graduate of last year's basic class) told me that they try to keep the group sizes down: only 8 - 12 people on the Tooth, etc.

OY! [big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no]

Having a calendar listing where the Mounties would be may do as much a disservice as a service when concerning their planned climbs. I say this because Mountie climb leaders can and do have a tendency to bag out on climbs--climbs that could go after all.

You could opt not to go to a climb (like The Tooth) because they had been scheduled to go there, and yet you COULD HAVE gone because they cancelled their climb (without telling the world).

Dear Pope,

I suggest you take up another sport during these times when you are resorting to Squire Rock. I suggest ice climbing and possibly some backcountry skiing. That way you can avoid them more easily.

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Some of you guys act like the Mountaineers have some sort of priority over climbing areas. Baloney! If you add up all of the weekends the various Mountaineers groups are in some of the prime areas for taking beginners, it's a whole lot of days. I teach small classes a few times a year and these guys are almost always there. Go climb somewhere else, you say? Why should I? As I said, they go to some of areas that are perfect for beginners in any number of different ways. Do what I do. If you feel like climbing in Leavenworth or the Tooth or wherever, just beat the Mountaineers to the crags. Get up an hour earlier and start climbing. They show up, they act as if we're climbing on their crag, and then they must wait until we're done. We're very polite unless they jump in our face and then we leave when we're done. The mad rush to make up for lost time usually follows. I've seen rented school buses pull up in Icicle Canyon from which a division of Mountaineers emerge. I used to put up with their nonsense until one Saturday morning I showed up at a lovely little area to find a couple of dozen Mountaineers swarming over it. I asked when they would be finished and was told that they were using that crag for the entire weekend. No sir! As things tranpsired, they only used it for a portion of the next day...the afternoon.By the way, I saw the giant group at Spire Rock this weekend: a whole lot of new Mountaineers in the making. And one of the "instructors" (a graduate of last year's basic class) told me that they try to keep the group sizes down: only 8 - 12 people on the Tooth, etc.OY!
[big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no]

If you want to sneak up to Mounties Buttress an hour before dawn just to prove a point, then spend the rest of the day dealing with the glare from those shiny purple helmets, be my guest. I'd prefer to work around the Mountaineers' outings, and seeing their schedule posted around would be convenient.

quote:

Originally posted by OfficeSpace:
Dear Pope,I suggest you take up another sport during these times when you are resorting to Squire Rock. I suggest ice climbing and possibly some backcountry skiing. That way you can avoid them more easily.

If you're making a serious suggestion, remember that SPIRE Rock is a place where you can get a pump when you've only got an hour or so, when other more involved forms of recreation aren't within the possibilities. On the other hand, I can't believe I'm explaining this to a guy who's smart enough to lace up his crampons.

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:
Actually, it's against the law to be on active train tracks. So, you don't have the right. It's trespassing. Still though, you should probably get out of the way if a train comes. A lot of people don't, a lot of people die.

Excellent point! I'm glad someone is finally speaking out about this. [laf]

It is not just the Monties at spire rock. Groups can reserve the rock, and usually put a sign at the chain link fence. I usually go early on weekends. Then the groups show up and tell me to get off the rock. I tell them I'll get off when I'm done. I think you can call Sprinker and find out when it is reserved. Go soon, cause I think I'm going to reserve it for every weekend from April 1 to Sept 30 :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Some of you guys act like the Mountaineers have some sort of priority over climbing areas. Baloney! If you add up all of the weekends the various Mountaineers groups are in some of the prime areas for taking beginners, it's a whole lot of days. I teach small classes a few times a year and these guys are almost always there. Go climb somewhere else, you say? Why should I? As I said, they go to some of areas that are perfect for beginners in any number of different ways. Do what I do. If you feel like climbing in Leavenworth or the Tooth or wherever, just beat the Mountaineers to the crags. Get up an hour earlier and start climbing. They show up, they act as if we're climbing on their crag, and then they must wait until we're done. We're very polite unless they jump in our face and then we leave when we're done. The mad rush to make up for lost time usually follows. I've seen rented school buses pull up in Icicle Canyon from which a division of Mountaineers emerge. I used to put up with their nonsense until one Saturday morning I showed up at a lovely little area to find a couple of dozen Mountaineers swarming over it. I asked when they would be finished and was told that they were using that crag for the entire weekend. No sir! As things tranpsired, they only used it for a portion of the next day...the afternoon.By the way, I saw the giant group at Spire Rock this weekend: a whole lot of new Mountaineers in the making. And one of the "instructors" (a graduate of last year's basic class) told me that they try to keep the group sizes down: only 8 - 12 people on the Tooth, etc.OY!
[big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no][big Drink][hell no]

Yeah, and you have a right to be on the train tracks when a train is coming, but I'd suggest getting out of the way!

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: David Parker ]

"Go soon, cause I think I'm going to reserve it for every weekend from April 1 to Sept 30 :-)"

Airmoss: can I be your friend?

You know, that would be kind of funny if a bunch of us got together and reserved Spire Rock by making ourselves up as a different phony group every weekend in the timeframe of February to June. We could usurp the rock from the Mounties and laugh as we watch them scramble for some back up plan...which they probably don't have.

Ha ha!

quote:

Originally posted by pope:

If you're making a serious suggestion, remember that SPIRE Rock is a place where you can get a pump when you've only got an hour or so, when other more involved forms of recreation aren't within the possibilities. On the other hand, I can't believe I'm explaining this to a guy who's smart enough to lace up his crampons.

Sorry for making a suggestion. I guess you seem to know it all. Maybe I should suggest you stop being such a know it all. If you need a one hour pump then go pump your woman wink.gif" border="0

Surprisingly, it's not as bad as you might think. There's room out there for everyone, and many many instructors.

I'm sure it would be better to have a climbing mentor take you to the best places and teach you everything, but that's not an option for everyone. Besides, we're talking about really basic skills here - like how to put on your harness, tie knots, belay & rappel.