Mt Hood Lookout

cj001f

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When a buddy of mine and I did Cooper in November of a low-snow year we saw some of those aforementioned cables. I have an old, out of print history of Mt. Hood at home and will try to remember to research what it has to say about that.

Very cool picture Carl. I wonder if anyone has a shot of that from a further panorama.

The cables on Cooper Spur go back to when Cloud Cap was the "Timberline" of the mountain. Cooper Spur was the standard route up the mountain, and ropes were hauled up there and fixed for groups to climb up. Since the ropes were so heavy, group sizes had to be pretty large. Classic photos of women in huge dresses going up Cooper Spur are out there.

The materials on the summit are what's left of the lookout. The sign on the lookout is down in the Cloud Cap Inn, along with a bit of the rope that was up on the mountain. I'm not sure how the steel cables come into play.

There is also the old engine sitting down by crater rock, a step back in time. A fun way to go up to it is via the ice gulley bisecting crater rock.

I came across this cool picture of when Silcox was the upper lift terminal for the Magic Mile too. I like hanging around Timberline looking at where things used to be. Be careful doing avalanche beacon practice around the Salmon River canyon area, there's a bunch of buried metal and cables from the lifts.

mthoodsilcox.jpg