REI return policy

MATT_B

quote:

Originally posted by MATT B:
I seem to have lit some flames. It seems that many of you got the impression that my gear is 10 years old beat to shit and I just want new ones. Not quite true. If it were I would go buy new ones. Yes it is ten year old. It is used but far far from beet to shit. The problem is that the edges of the velcro were not sealed correctly so they are coming unraveled. This started from day one with the gloves. I dont think OR even uses velcro on their overmits any more (wondery why) I should have taken then back at the first sign of a problem but I didn't. Finaly I don't want them replaced, that would be a waste. I just want them fixed. If I take them in and they say no, so be it. Although some make it sound like a capitol offence for trying. As for lifetime of product is it measured in quality and condition or number of years?

Any excuse to be a flamer right...

OR still uses velcro, but its probably better than the old stuff. Your best bet would be to take them down to the OR shop and demand that they fix them. At the worst they will charge you a small fee, but they shouldn't.

Every Brand has a different warranty policy. BD's is only good for one year. TNF (at least when I was there) was good for the owners lifetime, as long as it was the original owner. I saw several well used tents, coats, and sleeping bags, from the 70's come in and TNF fixed them at no charge. BTW- as soon as the production moved overseas our warranty pile went from stuff made in the 70's to stuff made three months ago... rolleyes.gif" border="0 Then they tried to make us wear uniforms and listen to musak all day, so I quit.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lameboner - the key word is: "used" to...as in years ago. That's why they are currently part of a brand family that includes bra makers and Wrangler jeans(among other reasons). And to all the REI bashers...if you needed spare parts for your stove, freeze dried food, an extra headlamp battery and a titanium spork all by this weekend, you would go to REI and you know it! [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Originally posted by Lambone:
"Whatever tacoma boy..."
Is this 'bone-guy going out of his way to find ever more reasons to be unlikeable? Can someone, somewhere, teach this fellow some social skills?
rolleyes.gif" border="0
- Dwayner, who lives in Tacoma as do many other denizens of this site.

No Dwayner, don't take it personally. I just look for any excuse to rag on erik 'cause he's sketchy. And I think there are some genuinly nice folks who work at FF.

I don't know anything about Tacoma, other than it's got a big Dome by the highway and it kinda smells funny. I have no opinion on it one way or another. I wanna see the next monster truck rally at the dome! Lemme know when it is ok.

What the hell type of file is a .swf?

I thought SWFs were the honeys in the personals, like: SWF, 24, 36-22-34, seeks spray-talkin' Tacoma boy for recreational activities. No creeps or gym climbers. Herpes OK. ?

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Has this one been said yet...?REI: Return Every Item

You dumb corporate sucking bitches,The dollar amount of returns is so tiny compared to the total sales. The Corporate Death Star doesn't even feel it. Then they turn around and sell the returned items or they will return it to the manufacturer for a refund for themselves. This, after they talked you into returning only part of your money at the customer service counter. They are not hurting and it doesn't affect your dividends or the prices.Wake up and get a life!

"I have a pare (sic) of OR gaitors and OR overmitts that the velcro is coming unraveled to the point that the material is coming apart around the stiching. "

With flame suit donned….

I would recommend you take your gaitors and mitts into REI Customer Service and show them the stitching, tell them how old they are, tell them you've gotten lots of use out of them and have been fully satisfied but now they need to be repaired and you want to know what your options are. Let them decide. But don't expect anything.

The repair required might be something they do in-house and takes them just a few minutes. If this is the case it would be nice if they offered to repair for free. That is their choice.

The repair required might be something that takes half hour and some parts. In this case they could offer to repair it but need to charge for time and materials. Their choice.

If REI doesn't offer you exactly what they want, work with them, but don't argue. Still not satisfied? If you're local then stop in at OR and ask them about your options.

….but I gotta agree with iammo REI is no longer a climbers' co-operative getting us the best discount prices on top quality technical climbing gear from around the world, that spirit is so long gone….. just talk with the previous board members (soon to be the newly re-elected board members)….. I do…. their ideas in no way support the spirit behind the co-op's genesis.

I don't swipe gear (wouldn't a #5 costalot cause some sort of problems when stuffed inside a dude's pants? And those chukar cherries stuffed downunder would create their own kind of issues… ) and I don't see much difference when somebody demands

No, demand that they (OR) repair them...or else tell them you will never support their product again.

Be polite about it, but put your foot down, let them know you are unsatisfied with the product.

Then again be prepared to pay a small fee for the repair, still should be way less than replacing them.

Yeah, REI's return policy has gotten a lot stiffer over the last few years - I remember a time when I could walk into the store with a pair of old snow tires and a leaking car battery, claim that I got them in the SLC store during a special sale, and walk out with a set of mountain bike tires and a headlamp in exchange. Now they actually expect you to return something they actually sell. I can't believe it. The bastards.