Snow creek Wall: Fixed Rap Descent

MarkAllen

The long awaited clean rap off Snow creek was suggested to me in Casa Que Pasa a few months ago. This sure as hell beats the shit walk off. This newly and well-bolted Fixed Ring descent is to the topo left of Outer Space and descends the upper pitches of Iconoclast and left side of lower pitches of Outer space. If your not rapping with two lines or slow at rapping, it is no faster that the average Joe chillin in the sand pit descent.

Plus you get to check out all the other climbs on the wall

Beta: We rapped with two 60s. We skipped many intermediate stations that are used for a double 50m and in some cases single rope raps.

Note: if you find that you can;t match the physical with this description you will find many intermediate anchors that will offer a similar, yet longer, safe descent. (Its hard to screw up, if you find the first there are many more below) but this beta short cut is nice.

The first anchor: is located at the Iconoclast top out. (Super sketchy, exposed, and sandy last few feet to anchor, careful!) just below the crest about 40ft to the south (climber left) of the large bolder at the Outer Space (OS) top out, and to the north of a large timber, down a sandy hourglass path to the lip of the wall. You will spot a dark brown chain on a bolt with a massive quick link backing up an eye-ring bolt. Rap to the next anchor at equal elevation of Library ledge, you wont spot the anchor until you are just over it.

Second anchor: located level and to the right with Library ledge will allow you to rap past a money RFC hand crack to a station the next prominent ledge (top of OS pitch 4) with thePedestal.

The third anchor: is tat slings located on a blocky ledge to the rappers left (top of pitch 2 iconoclast, can bee seen from second anchor). From the 3rd anchor rap north following your orientation of the previous 3 rappels. This large rappel will take you over a large roof and down to the large ledge that is the top of the first pitch OS, everything is large.

The forth anchor: to the ground is commonly a small tree with sling tat at the descenders left edge of the ledge. Yet, this is getting to be sketch. I would next time opt for the really big timber on the descends right side of the ledge. To the ground and base of OS and shoes.

Happy hunting

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rappelling off Snow Creek is ridiculous. The hike off the top is 20 minutes max…if you know where you are going……and not unpleasant if you bring along some shoes….which is a much lighter option then having to carry two 60 M ropes! smileysex5.gifhahaha.gif

Is the goal on Snow Creek to turn it into a crag? Why Why Why does the wall need a fixed rap?

boxing_smiley.gif

slaphappy said:

schnitzem said:

Is the goal on Snow Creek to turn it into a crag? Why Why Why does the wall need a fixed rap?

boxing_smiley.gif

It is a crag. It does not need one, as pointed out, it already exists, although no one planned it as such. The whole original post is absolutely ridiculous.

Preaching to the choir hahaha.gif I guess the thing that really struck me as stupid is the idea of hauling two 60M ropes up a 5-6 pitch route just so you can save 10 minutes and a little effort.

and just to get the record straight, I can't back my truck up to the bottom of Snow Creek wall and belay off my bumper......so it ain't a crag. moon.gif

schnitzem said:

slaphappy said:

schnitzem said:

boxing_smiley.gif

It is a crag. It does not need one, as pointed out, it already exists, although no one planned it as such. The whole original post is absolutely ridiculous.

Preaching to the choir hahaha.gif I guess the thing that really struck me as stupid is the idea of hauling two 60M ropes up a 5-6 pitch route just so you can save 10 minutes and a little effort.

and just to get the record straight, I can't back my truck up to the bottom of Snow Creek wall and belay off my bumper......so it ain't a crag. moon.gif

Uhh... if it's not a crag, what is it, a mountain? Right back at yah, tool. moon.gif

I agree that the walk off is not very hard, and there was (is) no urgent need for a fixed rappel route. However, what's wrong with somebody reporting here that there is an existing rappel route? What would be wrong if somebody wants to use it? On a hot day, my feet are hurting after I climb six pitches with my shoes tied too tightly. Particularly if it was eary season, and I'd worn heavier boots to kick steps in snow on the approach and I hadn't wanted to carry them up the climb, I might welcome four or five rappels rather than a walk down the descent route. Yes, a party who opts for the rappel better be careful not to knock stones on parties below, but the routes sounds as if it is not above Outer Space and althoug Iconoclast is a popular route, there is probably not a party on it most of the time. Also, the same need for caution is true for a party using the walk off - I nearly got clobbered by a loose boulder kicked by somebody in the party above me last time I went down that way. Parties of three are common and double ropes are very handy for that crux pitch on Outer Space, so many parties already have the extra rope.