Drinking and Climbing

specialed

I just wanted to express my dismay at the fact that climbing gyms prohibit alcohol consumption on their premises. I go to the gym after work and it would be nice to have a few beers while I boulder. I pay the cash for the membership! I know most people who work at the gym are uptight sportos and might look down their noses at drinking and climbing, unless you're drinking wheatgrass juice. But a nice swig of almost-cold Pabst before you send - can't beat it. Here's to Practice Rock [big Drink] where drinking and smoking are alright with the kids.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear you ed, pbr makes those hard sport routes seem like another day at the bar.......well maybe the sport routes wene't hard but the pbr tasted good.....well maybe the pbr didnt taste good, but it was cold....well i guess they werent cold either....least we were enjoying pristine scenery....damn there i go again nothing pritine about it....

i like to drink

There have been plenty of times in Seattle's Vertical World where mass quantities (keg) of malted beverage were served and climbing ensued. Er.... maybe not serious climbing.... more like games..... er.... more like stupid human tricks, make that stupid climber tricks.

A few years back at a climbing comp there remained a mostly full keg 'cuz most of the competitors were sorely underage.... So after they were driven home by mommy and daddy the remaining adults (that term is not used to connote wisdom nor maturity) began some serious work. Then all the fun ensued.

VW employee who shall remain nameless but worked for Feathered Friends directly after VW instigated all manner of enebriated competitions.

One comp involved asking for much slack after reaching ceiling. The belay weighed less than 115lbs and was not secured. The goal was to jump from the top, free fall through the slack, pull hard on belay and hoist him skyward, and eventually you stop moving. This particular comp was judged over after I jumped and met gravel with a solid WHUMP! I won?

The next comp involved a big free fall, then sudden arc, and at the lowest point (determined by your requested slack) now try to grab roll of duct tape off prone volunteers chest while zooming on Maritime Pacific's finest malts.