cable modem vs dsl

lummox

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

hey ummmmmm DFA, bitch, bite me wink.gif

Kindly take your rude trolls for sexual favors elsewhere, as Dr. Flash Amazing is happily married and has no desire to associate with loose, fast, or scandalous women. Plus, you've the temperament of a badger and all the panache of a relapsing glue-sniffer panhandling for Barge Cement.

Once more, but hopefully not again, good day.

• 3 months later...

I'm resurrecting this one because I need some beta - I'm looking into high speed at home, and I'm considering this Qwest deal that the Doctor was talking up ($29.95 for 12 months, then $35/mo, free installation, free modem) I'm just skeptical because it's Qwest... but it sounds like the consensus around here is that Comcast cable sucks even harder at twice the price...? Has anybody signed on with Qwest already? DFA?

Roger said:

I'm resurrecting this one because I need some beta - I'm looking into high speed at home, and I'm considering this Qwest deal that the Doctor was talking up ($29.95 for 12 months, then $35/mo, free installation, free modem) I'm just skeptical because it's Qwest... but it sounds like the consensus around here is that Comcast cable sucks even harder at twice the price...? Has anybody signed on with Qwest already? DFA?

The costs:

I just set up DSL for a friend in Portland. She got a deal with QWest/MSN for $30/month for a limited period of time (I think 6 months). The cost gets jacked up to $39/month after a while. No other costs (except my beer and dinner services fee).

These recent deals by DSL providers are simply marketing ploys to steal customers back from Comcast. Comcast is the new evil empire of America. They are the largest cable company in the world. Comcast recently announced that in 2004 they will raise their monthly rates 5% to Oregon customers.

About download speed. Cable transmission wins hands down. 600Kbs - 1.5Mbs

DSL is 256K - 512K depending on the service, but it's shared bandwidth. You and all your neighbors are sharing the same line, so effectively you may only be getting a fraction of 512K if the teenagers next door are gaming it up on the net.

thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the tips. Running the numbers, it looks like comcast would cost a minimum of $55/mo. (just for 'basic' cable plus internet) or $83/mo. if I wanted 'standard' cable... which I'm pretty sure I don't. I'm not really worried about DSL not being fast enough, so the Qwest deal at $30/mo. for a year sounds like the ticket.