Cars hit in Snow Creek Trailhead Parking Lot

Greg_W

Went for a short hike up towards Snow Creek Wall on Friday morning and ran into Timmy and Jon. THANKS SO MUCH, Jon, for lending us a rope. Anyway, walking back to the parking lot, we found that about 30 cars had been broken into Thursday night/Friday morning. What was interesting was the expensive items like cd's, gear, ropes, etc. were untouched. Cell phones were gone, and possibly wallets. Be warned.

Greg_W

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This unfortunate attack on the parking lot happened a bit earlier than Thursday night. I saw the cars with broken windows on Thursday morning. At that point I counted over twenty cars with broken windows.

As there are a lot of people in the backcountry, there is the possiblity that they were hit as long ago as tuesday night... Like Greg, I noticed that expensive items were left behind. My partner hypothesized that the vandals were looking for wallets that hikers and climbers have left behind...

Jason

Well both mine and Tim's car were broken into. We put all of our other stuff in the back of the truck hoping that it would be ok. In hindsight it was stupid because there were like four packs, three ropes, two pairs of expensive boots, a full rack and then some, tent, etc. etc. We considered leaving his car in town but decided that the risk might just be as great. Anyways we kept running into people after the wall trail saying that all the cars were broken into, and we were shitting our pants. I had nothing in my car, no gear not even a CD player, except a cell phone but they broke in anyways and took it, more on this. Tim's car was hit too but amazingly they took nothing, not even the CDs in the passanger area. It's obvious they were looking for wallets and that's about it. What good is a cell phone because you can trace the numbers they call. I called my carrier last night when we got into Bend and they had used the phone and I passed the number off to the Sheriff, so these guys may have fucked themselves. Talking to my car insurace company today, and they are a national company (USAA), the woman said for the last two months they have been receiving nonestop calls regarding trailhead breakins. Anyways it kinda sucked to end a great 5 days in the Icicle on a shitty note but none of our gear was stolen and more importantly we walked in the door in one piece.

Glad to catch your last comment. While it sucks big time to have your stuff broken into and to pick up the pieces and put them back together again, you're in one piece and that's what matters.

In June, I topped Jefferson on my 10th try almost a year to the day a colleague of mine lost her son there. There's no replacement for that.

Four days later my house was broken into and I lost 5 of my guitars (Les Paul, ES-175, ES-135, Strat, Guild M80) plus two amps and some other music gear. In all honesty, I almost didn't care. It was the wierdest feeling- it was all stuff, and while I love my gear, it can be replaced with money. Yeah they were special and all, but reality is no one was hurt (no one home when they broke in) and I can climb and play again. They can steal my gear, but they'll never get my passion.

Plus, believe it or not, my insurance guy was really good and I was covered for full replacement value.

ncascademtns said:

Sargent_Rock said:

Interesting...Is it just me, or have trailhead break ins seem to have increased with the requirement for trailhead parking permits?

Hey Greg_W,

Did you see if the Trail Park Passes were stolen?

Don't know. We commiserated with Jon and Tim for a bit and then took off once we saw they weren't offering us beer. wink.gif

I am also a USAA member. Of course, you gotta be someone special to qualify for membership, but that's beside the point that they're a great insurance company.

Re: wallets. I don't even take my full wallet with me when I leave my house for the mountains anymore. Instead, I take my ID, my debit card (sometimes also my CC), and some cash, along with a piece of paper with phone numbers, etc. on it, in a small ziplock bag. This bag I put in my pack as it is small and streamlined. When the bag gets too old to be of use (ripped), I simply replace it with another.

Over years of climbing, I have discovered that there is just no reason for me to take 95% of the crap with me that's in my wallet. So I leave all that crap at home and only take with me that which I'll probably need (as listed above). I even find myself not taking my full wallet with me in the city when I'm doing things where I know I won't need any of that crap.

You can evaluate your own wallet needs, but I'm willing to bet you take along way more wallet items than you ever need.

babnik said:

Legalize meth and this shit wouldn't happen so often.

dave, you are without a doubt the coolest poster on this site. yelrotflmao.gif

I disagree thinking Dave is one of the biggest geeks. But I do completely agree with his remarks and I probably would have made similar ones if I had read this before him.

The sad reality is that it doesnt pay to catch criminals.

Gee, seems like it would be real easy for 'the law' to make themselves out to be heros in the northwest by baiting some cars and staking out trailheads. Too bad they would rather write 50 dollar tickets for non-compliance of voluntary programs.

Cheers to Larry the Tool.

P.S. Sorry bout the break ins fellas.